Super Rugby is not imminent threat, says ERC chief McGrath

European rugby chiefs are confident there will be no southern hemisphere interference to threaten the future of the Heineken Cup.

A report in the New Zealand Herald claimed that the leading English and French clubs are ready to lure South Africa’s provinces out of Super Rugby and form a breakaway competition.

Last night, however, ERC’s Chief Executive Derek McGrath said his organisation were aware of meetings that had taken place earlier this year between English clubs and South African franchises.

You have reached your article limit. Already a subscriber? Sign in

Clubber TV and Irish Examiner logos in offer banner

Every Match. Every Story.

One Ultimate Bundle

No obligation. Ts&Cs apply.

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited