Dragons fire late as Anderson departs

Newport Gwent Dragons 13 Ulster 11

As part of a restructuring and cost-cutting drive, which coincides with the withdrawal of benefactor of Tony Brown, the Dragons board announced earlier that Anderson will leave at the end of the season, after less than a year at the helm.

It will end a brief but eventful stay in the principality for the Australian as the Dragons renew the search for a replacement for Mike Ruddock.

This much-needed win maintained the Dragons’ hopes of a top-four finish as they recorded a season’s double over struggling Ulster.

The visitors punished the Welshmen for an error-strewn opening as David Humphreys landed a drop-goal to give his side a 10th-minute lead.

The below-par Dragons failed to fire and even with Ulster lock Matt McCullough in the sin-bin they could not get their point-scoring act together.

Instead, Humphreys nudged Ulster further in front with a 31st-minute penalty.

In first-half stoppage time the Dragons finally found the guile and urgency to unlock the Ulster defence when skipper Jason Forster crossed after good work by hooker Steve Jones, who did well to offload in the tackle.

Craig Warlow’s conversion gave the Welshmen the lead at the interval, which on the balance of play they barely deserved.

The tempo picked up in the second-half with the Dragons more composed and in control, having the wind up their backs.

A penalty by Montgomery after 54 minutes emphasised their growing supremacy and some measured tactical kicking by Warlow kept the Irishmen on the back foot.

Ulster seemed to press the self-destruct button when the normally composed Humphreys was caught in possession in the in-goal area, but they were left off the hook when the Dragons were denied a score by another handling error.

Against the run of play and in dramatic fashion Ulster broke down field for Kevin Maggs to send full-back Bryn Cunningham over for an unconverted try to give the visitors a 64th-minute lead.

That score injected renewed impetus into the visitors’ play but the Dragons’ resilience came to the fore as Ulster skipper Campbell Feather conceded a penalty which Montgomery converted.

That put the hosts back in the lead and although Ulster launched a late rally the Dragons defence stood firm.

Newport-Gwent Dragons scorers: Tries: Forster. Cons: Warlow. Pens: Montgomery 2.

NEWPORT-GWENT DRAGONS: Montgomery, Wyatt, Brew, Winn, Breeze, Warlow, Baber, Snow, Jones, Anthony, Charteris, Sidoli, Ringer, Oakley, Forster, Tuipulotu. Replacements: Black for Tuipulotu (80).

Ulster scorers: Tries: Cunningham. Pens: Humphreys. Drop Goals: Humphreys.

ULSTER: Cunningham, Bowe, Steinmetz, Maggs, Howe, Humphreys, Campbell, S. Best, R. Best, Moore, Longwell, McCullough, Feather, Wilson, N. Best, Shields, Frost. Replacements: Spee for Shields (50), S. Young for Frost (50).

Referee: Andy Ireland (SRU).

Zurich Premiership: Sale 19 Leeds 10.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox