Authorized definitely out of King George as team mull options

CONNECTIONS of Derby winner Authorized will take their time before deciding on their next target following the news he will miss next week’s King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Stakes.

The three-year-old suffered his first defeat of the season in the Coral-Eclipse at Sandown last time and trainer Peter Chapple-Hyam is keen to give the Montjeu colt some time off before embarking on an autumn campaign.

He is likely to have his next start in either the Juddmonte International at York on August 21, won by his Eclipse conqueror Notnowcato last year, or the Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown on September 8.

The colt was sold to Sheikh Mohammed’s Darley operation for stud purposes following his success at Epsom, and he is likely to be involved in any decisions.

“Authorized is in tip-top condition. However, we have decided to miss the King George and give him a well-deserved longer break,” said Tony Nerses, racing manager to owners Saleh Al Homeizi and Imad Al Sagar.

“The Juddmonte International will probably be his next race as we know the track will suit and it involves minimum travelling.

“However, there is also the Irish Champion Stakes to consider. That involves more travel and with that there is always an element of risk.

“We will be consulting Sheikh Mohammed for his guidance which will be appreciated and fully respected en-route, god willing, to the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe.”

Chapple-Hyam echoed the sentiments the youngster was just feeling the effects of a busy early-season campaign.

“I am happy with him as he seems in very good form, although he is entitled to feel slightly tired after three hard races so far this season,” he told his website, www.peterchapplehyam.com.

“With that in mind, he will probably benefit from a bit of a break. He has looked after me this year, now I’ve got to look after him.”

The news of Authorized’s absence came as no surprise to Ladbrokes, who now have Dylan Thomas as their 4-5 favourite.

Spokesman David Williams said: “We said immediately after the Eclipse that we wouldn’t be getting involved in the King George until plans for Authorized had been confirmed.

“He had a quite brutal race at Sandown and we were far from surprised to hear that he’s not going to Ascot.

“Dylan Thomas sets the standard for the race and we expect Scorpion to be the perceived second string for Aidan O’Brien.”

More in this section

Sport
Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox