Twohig’s late charge clinches Willie Whelton Cup

Gavin Twohig closed with a brilliant bowl at Grange to grab a last-shot win over Michael Harrington in the Willie Whelton Cup.

Twohig’s late charge clinches Willie Whelton Cup

He won the opening shot, but Harrington took the second and led till the last shot. Harrington had a 10-metre lead after three to just short of sight at the stud farm. Twohig got a great rub with his fourth, but missed sight at Holland’s. Harrington’s reply rubbed too and reached sight.

Twohig benefited from a rub with his next to the novice line. Harrington was too tight left with his and although he was 30m fore he missed sight. Twohig misplayed his next and missed de Barra’s. Harrington made de Barra’s and Twohig beat that by just 50m to leave the lead close to a bowl of odds.

Twohig stayed in contention when he reached the school cross after Harrington had missed. Harrington then lofted and Twohig beat it by 30m. Harrington followed with a super shot that gave him a clear bowl of odds.

Twohig hit back with super shot towards Hodnett’s farm. Harrington was left and missed that by 100m. Harrington followed with a good bowl towards the bungalow to keep him 100m fore.

Twohig reached the concrete with another good bowl, Harrington was left with his reply and beat it by just 30m.

Twohig blew his next shot right and Harrington replied with a big bowl towards Barry’s.

Twohig beat that by just 30m to leave almost a bowl between them again.

Harrington was too tight left again with his next and just beat Twohig tip by 50m. Twohig played a brilliant bowl past the pub, which Harrington beat by just 25m.

Twohig closed with another massive bowl. Harrington’s lacked the speed to catch it.

Brendan O’Neill bowled brilliantly at Jagoes Mills where he defeated Vincent Kiely by a bowl in the semi-final of the Paddy Mulcahy Cup. He gained a firm grip on the score by making O’Brien’s corner in three against four for Kiely. They went to the end of the straight in two, the railway line in two more and the power station in another two.

Kiely was too tight left with his next. O’Neill hit back with a super shot to within 50m of Ballinvard cross and Kiely conceded.

Darren Oliver beat Dave Fitzgerald by two bowls in the Hancy Hubbard Cup at Béal na Marbh.

They both reached the first corner in two and the white house in four. They were still locked together in the next three to the rock, where Fitzgerald led by 20m.

Oliver made sight in two more and Fitzgerald missed to fall almost a bowl behind.

Oliver was a full bowl clear after making sight in another three. He was two bowls clear after reaching the cottage in another three.

Timmy Murphy beat Jimmy Collins in the Béal na mBláth final.

Collins won the first two shots and increased his lead to 30m with a good third to the water. Murphy then played a brilliant bowl up the straight, which proved to be the critical shot of the score. Collins played his reply to the right and it hopped onto the bank 70m hind. His next just beat Murphy’s tip to leave almost a bowl between them.

Murphy followed with two good bowls to Shorten’s cross and he made Long’s lane in three more. Collins did well to keep in touch, but he was a full bowl behind there. He knocked the bowl at Twohig’s farm, but Murphy kept the lead close to a bowl to the big turn.

Collins held the lead at just under a bowl in the next exchange. Murphy then missed the line to give Collins a lifeline. He took his opportunity with a good bowl past the line. It was not enough though as Murphy beat it well.

Denis Murphy beat Adrian Callanan by just 10 metres in the Josie Crean Cup at Whitechurch. This score will be remembered for the extraordinary number of times the lead changed hands. Murphy looked set to push clear after a big shot down the hill towards the end of the wall, but missed Callanan’s next tip. He gained big odds again up the straight and raised a bowl with a good throw to the Devil’s bend.

Callanan then played a sensational bowl to the start of the white wall. Murphy misplayed his shot into the bend and had only 20m odds for the last shot after his next.

Callanan beat the line with a good bowl and Murphy just beat it following a rub.

Denis Wilmot advanced to the semi-final of the JJ Murphy Cup at the expense of Mick Hurley at Bauravilla.

In the Ulster Junior C championship, Philip Corrigan gave an outstanding performance at the Cathedral Road where he beat Pat McQuade by three bowls.

At the same venue Brian Kinchin beat Niall Smyth by two bowls. At Newtownhamilton Oliver O’Neill had the first win of the Ulster Novice II championship when he beat Fergal Davidson.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox