Gomez fight wasn’t rigged, says boxing body

THE Boxing Union of Ireland last night cleared Peter McDonagh and Michael Gomez of any wrongdoing in last month’s controversial Irish lightweight title fight in Dublin.

Boxing chief Mel Christle confirmed that both fighters’ purses had been released and that no punishment had been imposed on either boxer.

Galway-born McDonagh claimed the vacant title after Gomez refused to defend himself in the fifth round of the contest. Gomez dropped his hands and began walking toward his corner midway through the fifth round, leaving referee Sean Russell with no option but to award the fight to McDonagh.

Amid speculation that the encounter had been the subject of a betting coup, the Boxing Union of Ireland considered evidence from referee Sean Russell, the ringside doctor, Dr David O’Flaherty, the British Boxing Board of Control and bookmakers and submissions from both fighters before reaching their verdict.

The bookmakers that submitted evidence included Cashmans, Eastwoods, and Paddy Power.

However, it is understood that Boylesports, who announced they had suspended betting on the fight a few hours before it was due to take place, did not submit any evidence despite requests from the Boxing Union of Ireland.

Promoter Brian Peters welcomed the findings, and so did Gomez.

“I’m delighted that the investigation is completed and that I have been cleared,” he said. “There’s no way I’d ever be involved in anything like a fixed fight.

“If anyone thinks I’d be involved in something like that, then why don’t they come and spar a few rounds with me.

“I’ll show them just how tough boxing is because I think sometimes people think it’s easy to get in that ring. After a few rounds with me they might understand what a boxer has to go through in there.

“I’m a proud warrior and anyone who’s watched me down through the years knows that. No disrespect to Peter McDonagh but I’ve been boxing for over 20 years and that catches up with your body.

“All those years of hard training, making weight and getting into wars in the ring caught up with me and that’s all that happened. I’m sorry for all my supporters but I had to make that decision in the fight for myself and my family. Boxing is too tough a sport if your heart’s not in it.”

Bookmakers Boylesports issued a stern response to claims by the BUI that they failed to participate in the investigation.

“Boylesports would like to point out that the letter sent to them was not registered as indicated in the BUI press statement and there was no deadline date on this letter by which to respond.

“Boylesports spoke to a BUI official on this matter and had advised him that they would in fact be responding to the letter in due course. Boylesports also want to take this opportunity to emphasise the fact that at no time did spokesman Paul Magee or any other representative of Boylesports state that the fight between Michael Gomez and Peter McDonagh was ‘fixed’. Boylesports confirm that they announced that betting had been suspended at 4pm on January 28th due to irregular betting patterns on the fight. Boylesports paid out on all winning bets on this fight. Boylesports are extremely disappointed by the stance taken by the BUI and the tone of the press statement issued.”

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited