Redemption as Wexford U-21 hurlers book final place

Galway 1-19 Wexford 1-21

Redemption as Wexford U-21 hurlers book final place

Galway 1-19 Wexford 1-21

Wexford have booked their place in their first All-Ireland U21 hurling final in 13 years.

The Slaneysiders will attempt to deny Clare three-in-a-row in the showpiece decider on September 13, after edging past Galway by two points in Thurles this evening.

Senior star Jack Guiney scored 1-8, including the insurance point, as the Leinster champions banished the bitter memories of last year’s semi-final defeat to Antrim.

Wexford had scoring contributions from seven players on the night, with Moore, Conor McDonald and Kevin Foley collecting 0-3 each.

Galway’s Pádraic Brehony was desperately unlucky to find himself on the losing side, having contributed 1-5 of his 1-6 tally before half-time.

The sides were level seven times in that opening half but a purple patch of scoring saw Galway reel off seven points before and after the break.

The Tribesmen edged into a one-point interval lead, 1-14 to 1-13, with a run of four points approaching the break.

And when Shane Maloney and Brehony added points after the restart, Galway had four to spare.

But that was Wexford’s cue to respond with a run of five unanswered points to regain the lead.

Cathal Mannion levelled matters again and when wing back Adrian Tuohy launched a monstrous score over the bar, Galway were back in front.

But Wexford would finish strong as Guiney converted an equalising free before Gary Moore’s edged the Leinster champions ahead again.

And one of the scores of the game was Guiney’s insurance as he improvised superbly to bat Conor McDonald’s clever centre over the bar in the final minute.

In the first half, the sides had racked up 29 scores between them, with Guiney and Brehony trading goals.

With the sides level for the sixth time at 0-9 apiece, Brehony took a pass from Mannion to net in the 20th minute.

But that goal was cancelled out by Guiney four minutes before half-time, after the prolific hitman collected a Rhys Clarke offload.

Wexford’s win means they are within touching distance of a first All-Ireland U21 title since 1965.

GALWAY: S Mannion; D O’Donoghue, J Hanbury, P Killeen; B Keane, D Higgins, A Tuohy (0-1); C Diviney, E Burke (0-1); P Brehony (1-6), S Maloney (0-6, 3f), C Mannion (0-3); D Dolan, J Glynn (0-1), J Flynn.

Subs: B Molloy (0-1) for Dolan (23), E Brannigan for Diviney (47), J Carr for Flynn (56).

WEXFORD: O O’Leary; G Foley, L Ryan, E Conroy; A Kenny, S O’Gorman, J O’Connor; A Nolan (0-1), C Devitt (0-1); J Guiney (1-8, 0-7f), G Moore (0-3), P Foley (0-2); R Clarke, C McDonald (0-3), K Foley (0-3).

Subs: J White for G Foley (36), P Sutton for Clarke (44), S Cash for Devitt (51), C O’Leary for P Foley (54).

Referee: D Kirwan (Cork).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up