Tyrone stage storming finish

Tyrone 1-12 Roscommon 0-13

Tyrone stage storming finish

Tyrone 1-12 Roscommon 0-13

Tyrone staged a storming finish to deny a brave Roscommon side and book their place in the All-Ireland MFC final at Croke Park.

The Red Hands were chasing the game throughout, but inspired by midfielder Conor McKenna, they truned the game around in spectacular fashion.

The Rossies led by three points at half-time, and were still three in front late in the third quarter, but could not live with the intesnsity the Ulster lads brought to the contest in the closing stages.

Roscommon were left to rue a missed penalty early in the game, which was saved by goalkeeper Sean Fox.

Philip Donnelly and Tadhg O’Rourke swapped early scores, before Roscommon were awarded a fourth minute penalty for Rhys Quinn’s foul on Diarmuid Murtagh, but goalkeeper Sean Fox saved brilliantly from Diarmuid McGann, pushing his kick around a post.

Murtagh fired over a point when the ball was worked to him from the resultant ’45, and with Sean Mullooly and David Neary performing with authority at the back for the Rossies, the Red Hands were repeatedly frustrated going forward.

McGann tapped over a free to make it 0-3 to 0-1 after eight minutes, but Conor McKenna narrowed the gap from a ’45, and added a gem of the outside of his right boot, which was only awarded following consultation with Hawk-Eye.

McGann thumped over a terrific free, and Henry Walsh added a wonderful point from play from underneath the Cusack Stand as Fergal O’Donnell’s side got back on top.

Roscommon could have had further scores, but were guilty of poor shot selection, but were well placed at the break, ahead by 0-6 to 0-3.

Roscommon were well worth their 0-6 to 0-3 interval lead, and stretched the advantage through wing back Ronan Daly.

Full back Mullooly executed a superb tackle on McKenna as Tyrone attempted to get some attackling momentum, but having gone more than 20 minutes without a score, thje Red Hans suddenly sprang to life.

Lee Brennan clipped over a point, and McKenna smashed home a brilliant 39th minute goal to bring them level.

But Roscommon responded with a volley of scores that quickly restored their three points advantage, with Murtagh, Daly and Ultan Harney all on target.

Tyrone displayed their courage and mettle in the final 10 minutes, dispensing with the sweeper system to pile on the pressure, and McKenna rose to the challenge with two inspirational scores.

Tiarnan Donnelly and Christopher Morris also hit the target as they outscored their opponents by five points to one in the closing stages to book their place in the decider.

Tyrone: S Fox, C Byrne, R Quinn, C McCann, S Hamill, C Morris (0-1), P McGirr, R Nugent, F Burns, P Donnelly (0-1), C McKenna (1-4, 0-1 ’45), R McGlone, L Brennan (0-3), D Gallagher, S McGrath (0-1).

Subs: D Mulgrew for Gallagher, C McShane (0-1) for Donnelly, T Donnelly (0-1, f) for McGlone, K Coney for Byrne, M Lynn for McGirr

Roscommon: S Mannion, D Neary, S Mullooly, M Flannery, R Daly (0-2), E McGrath, E Fallon, C Compton (0-1), U Harney (0-1), T O’Rourke (0-1), J Earley, S Farrell, H Walsh (0-1), D McGann (0-3, 3f), D Murtagh (0-4, 3f).

Subs: M Murtagh for Earley,

Referee: D O’Mahoney (Tipperary).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up