Waterford seal dramatic injury-time win

Waterford 1-14 Tipperary 0-16, Walsh Park

Waterford seal dramatic injury-time win

Waterford 1-14 Tipperary 0-16, Walsh Park

Kevin Moran’s injury-time point gave Waterford a dramatic 1-14 to 0-16 win over Tipperary at Walsh Park.

Tipp’s Seamus Callanan, who scored 0-10, started sharply yet Jamie Barron’s 18th-minute goal kept the hosts in the hunt and it was 1-6 to 0-9 at half-time.

Callanan helped Tipp, whose benefited from a strong bench, lead by five points with 12 minutes remaining. But Pauric Mahony’s free-taking reduced the arrears and points from Barron and Jake Dillon set up an exciting finish.

Moran's injury-time winner capped a courageous comeback from Michael Ryan's men as they moved to the summit of Allianz Hurling League Division 1A ahead of the final round of games.

Wind-assisted Tipperary started brightly and led by 0-4 to 0-1 after 15 minutes. Michael Walsh was holding firm at centre-back and he dragged the home side back into the contest.

On 18 minutes, Maurice Shanahan set up Jamie Barron who drove a low shot across Brendan Cummins and into the corner of the net for the game's only goal.

Martin O’Neill followed that up with a free to put Waterford ahead. With Callanan looking threatening, Tipp regained control and opened up a three-point gap.

Waterford finished the half strongly, however, and a Jake Dillon point from play along with a pair of Martin O’Neill frees left the sides level at the interval.

Tipp manager Eamonn O’Shea made a double switch at the break and the Premier County came out with intent. Three Callanan frees gave them a healthy advantage at an early stage of the half and they pressed home their superiority.

Lar Corbett and Brian O’Meara added points before Callanan struck over his tenth of the afternoon to put Tipp 0-16 to 1-8 ahead in sight of the hour mark.

Waterford dug in however and Michael Walsh led a strong defensive effort in the closing stages to shut down that lively Tipp attack.

Their pace at the other end drew a succession of frees and substitute Pauric Mahony converted three in-a-row to give them hope.

In the final minute of normal time, Barron scored from an acute and Dillon tagged on another to set up that pulsating finale.

A Corbett effort fell short before Waterford launched one last attack. Urged on by a vocal home support, they laid siege to Cummins; goal.

In the first minute of injury-time, Moran seized possession 65 metres out and from the stand sideline, he split the posts to decide the game and send the Déise followers away in upbeat mood.

WATERFORD: I O’Regan; S Fives, L Lawlor, S Daniels; J Nagle, M Walsh, K Moran (0-1); S O’Sullivan, P Prendergast; B O’Halloran (0-1), S Prendergast, M Shanahan (0-1); J Dillon (0-2), M O’Neill (0-4, 0-4f), J Barron (1-1).

Subs used: P Mahony (0-4, 0-4f) for O’Neill (55 mins), B O’Sullivan for Shanahan (59), D Fives for O’Halloran (65).

TIPPERARY: B Cummins; D Maher, P Curran, M Cahill; C O’Brien, T Stapleton, P Maher; J Woodlock, S McGrath (0-1); B O’Meara (0-2), N McGrath (0-1), A Ryan; S Bourke (0-1), S Callanan (0-10, 0-4f, 0-1 '65'), L Corbett (0-1).

Subs used: E Kelly for Ryan, B Maher for N McGrath (both half-time), J O’Dwyer for S Bourke (49 mins), P Bourke for Woodlock (62), J Forde for O’Meara (67).

Referee: Cathal McAllister (Cork)

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Execution Time: 0.241 s