Derry, Kildare, Meath and Wicklow advance in Kehoe Cup

Derry, Kildare, Meath and Wicklow advanced to the Bord na Móna Kehoe Cup semi-finals following today’s action.

Derry, Kildare, Meath and Wicklow advanced to the Bord na Móna Kehoe Cup semi-finals following today’s action.

Derry braved a determined late charge from GMIT, to record a 2-11 to 2-10 win at Celtic Park.

Ger Rogan's charges led by 2-10 to 1-7 with 10 minutes remaining, but found their lead cut back to a point with two minutes remaining, following a Conor O'Donnell goal.

Brendan Quigley opened up a two-point lead for the hosts late on and although GMIT cut the gap to the minimum, the students couldn't find the score required to force extra-time.

Earlier, three points from Ruairi Convery helped Derry to a 0-6 to 0-3 interval lead.

Derry moved 1-9 to 0-6 ahead by the 51st minute following a Chrissy Convery goal.

GMIT bounced back with a Paul Hoban goal, but a goal from Quigley gave Derry a 2-10 to 1-7 lead with 10 minutes remaining.

Kildare never looked troubled in their 1-18 to 0-7 win over Louth at Darver.

The foundations for this victory were laid in the opening half as Willie Sutherland's charges led by 0-14 to 0-3 at half-time.

Newly appointed Kildare captain Paul Divilly led the charge with seven first half points for the visitors.

Gale assisted Kildare scoring 11 unanswered points from the 10th minute until the break.

Kildare led by 0-17 to 0-7 with 16 minutes remaining, before scoring 1-1 without reply late on including a David Harney goal.

A second half turnaround by Meath ensured the Royals claimed a 0-15 to 0-11 win over Armagh at Pairc Tailteann.

Aid by a strong wind in the opening half Armagh led by 0-8 to 0-4 at half-time, thanks in the main due to the efforts of Declan Coulter (0-5) and Paul Breen.

Meath scored five unanswered points on the restart to take a one-point lead with Adam Gannon firing the equaliser, before John Meyler put the home side in front for the first time.

The Royals moved four points clear in the final quarter thanks to the good work of Stephen Clynch (0-9) to advance to a semi-final against Wicklow next weekend.

Wicklow cruised to a 3-17 to 1-3 victory over DCU at Bray Emmets.

Andy O'Brien bagged 1-7 in a game where Casey O'Brien's charges took firm command in the second half

DCU were wind assisted in the opening half, but the conditions proved testing and the sides were tied 1-2 to 0-5 at the break.

Paul O'Brien's side got off to the perfect start with Donal Breathnach netting a goal for the students inside the opening minute.

However, the visitors struggled to build on this with Seanie McGrath adding a brace of pointed frees.

Another McGrath free would be DCU's lone score of the second half, with O'Brien pouncing his Wicklow's first three-pointer nine minutes after the restart.

This broke a scoring deadlock by both sides, but there would be no further scoring problems for Wicklow as Christy Moorehouse and Ronan Keddy added further goals for the Garden County in the 54th and 61st minutes to pave the way for a 20-point win.

In the Kehoe Shield, Roscommon recorded a 2-16 to 1-8 win over Trinity College Dublin at Thomas Davis GAA club.

Two first half goals from Adrian Murphy helped the visitors to a 2-8 to 1-3 half-time lead.

Roscommon will face Queen's in the semi-finals next weekend.

Meanwhile, the game between St. Patrick's College, Drumcondra and Fingal has been re-fixed for Monday evening at 6.30pm in Alfie Byrne Park.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Discover the

Install our free app today

Available on