Late Galway goal stuns Cork

Galway 2-17 Cork 2-13

Galway 2-17 Cork 2-13

A late goal and point from Niall Burke helped Galway to inflict a first Allianz Hurling League Division 1A defeat on Cork at Páirc Uí Chaoimh today.

With time running out, a draw seemed likely as the sides were tied, but Burke rasped a brilliant ground shot to the roof of the net before adding a point, leaving him with a tally of 1-10.

The first half was generally a tale of cheap Galway defensive fouls allowing Cork’s Patrick Horgan to score six frees, while at the other end awful shooting resulted in nine wides and another chance straight at Cork goalkeeper Dónal Óg Cusack.

Cork had four points on the board, three Horgan frees and an excellent Jamie Coughlan score, before Damien Hayes opened Galway’s account in the 15th minute, but other than that Hayes was anonymous in the opening period, despite regularly roving from his corner-forward stationing.

His marker Shane O’Neill opted to stay put and impressed in a sweeping role, while John Gardiner did well at centre-back and while Conor Cooney pulled another point back for the visitors, Cork tacked on another 1-3 before the Tribesmen scored again.

Two more Horgan frees and a nice score from Conor Lehane were followed by a fine goal in the 28th minute, as Coughlan found Paudie O’Sullivan with a good low pass and he held possession well before finding Cathal Naughton on the run and he made no mistake from close range.

Galway upped their game after that, however, and outscored Cork by 0-5 to 0-2 in the remainder of the half, Niall Burke with three frees, but turning to play with the wind the Rebels were in a good position as they led by 1-9 to 0-7.

While Coughlan was unlucky not to add a second goal early on, denied by a super James Skehill save, generally Cork were on the back foot early in the second half as Galway ate into the lead point by point, a run of four Niall Burke scores only interrupted by Paudie O’Sullivan’s first point of the day.

When first-half sub Davy Glennon raised a white flag in the 51st minute it was 1-10 to 0-12 and then Galway took the lead for the first time as Cork goalkeeper Dónal Óg Cusack rose to catch a point attempt but in clearing was blocked down by Glennon, allowing Hayes to finish well.

Burke then extended the lead but almost immediately Cork responded as the industrious Lorcán McLoughlin found the net after he had been picked out well by a good O’Sullivan pass.

Galway came back strongly though, and the good finish ensured they took the points.


Cork: P Horgan 0-6f, C Lehane 0-5, C Naughton, L McLoughlin 1-0 each, P O’Sullivan, J Coughlan 0-1 each.

Galway: N Burke 1-10 (0-7f), D Hayes 1-1, D Burke, A Smith 0-2 each, I Tannian, D Glennon 0-1 each.

CORK: D Óg Cusack; S O’Neill, D Cahalane, B Murphy; T Kenny, J Gardiner, W Egan; L McLoughlin, S Óg Ó hAilpín; C Lehane, P Cronin, C Naughton; J Coughlan, P O’Sullivan, P Horgan.

Subs: D Sweetnam for Naughton (56), M O’Sullivan for Horgan (62), N McCarthy for Kenny (68).

GALWAY: J Skehill; D Connolly, D Collins, G O’Halloran; J Coen, F Moore, N Donoghue; D Burke, A Smith; C Cooney, N Burke, I Tannian; B Burke, J Regan, D Hayes.

Subs: D Glennon for Regan, C Donnellan for Cooney (both 25), J Cooney for Tannian (49), T Haran for Hayes (68).

Referee: J Owens (Wexford).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd