Wexford set up Westmeath showdown

Wexford 2-16 Offaly 0-08

Wexford 2-16 Offaly 0-08

Wasteful Offaly were sent packing by Wexford as Jason Ryan's side ran out comfortable winners of this Leinster SFC clash in Tullamore.

Ciaran Lyng's goal, which came from a misplaced Richie Dalton pass, set Wexford on their way to a 1-09 to 0-06 half-time lead.

Wexford, who had a wind advantage in the first half, stamped their mark on this game early on, bursting into a 0-05 to 0-01 lead by the quarter hour mark.

Lyng and Offaly captain Niall McNamee swapped opening points before Wexford had successive scores from Ben Brosnan, with two frees and a '45', and Championship debutant Rory Quinlivan.

Quinvilan blotted his copybook when he fouled Sean Ryan for an Offaly penalty, but McNamee's 12th-minute strike was high and wide of the target.

Wexford kicked on as Lyng and Bernard Allen traded points before the former found the Offaly net in the 20th minute. The Faithfuls did mount something of a comeback in the lead up to half-time, with debutants Allen and Nigel Dunne on the scoresheet as well as McNamee.

Lyng (1-07) and fellow corner forward Ben Brosnan (0-06) did the bulk of the scoring for the visitors, whose goal led something of a charmed life.

Offaly made a strong start to the second half with McNamee on target. But they struck the post twice when presented with goal-scoring opportunities and also had two goal-bound shots saved.

In contrast, Wexford were much more clinical. Quinlivan had a shot parried by Offaly goalkeeper Alan Mulhall who could only watch as a lurking Redmond Barry tapped home the rebound for a 54th minute goal.

That gave Ryan's charges a 2-11 to 0-07 buffer and there was no way back for Offaly. They could only add one more point to their total in the closing half-hour, through substitute Ken Casey.

With Brosnan and Lyng adding further scores, Wexford remained on top and Mulhall denied them a third goal when he saved a Paddy Byrne shot at point blank range. The Model men will face Westmeath at the quarter-final stage on Sunday, June 12.

OFFALY: Alan Mulhall; Brian Darby, Scott Brady, Seán Pender; Stephen Lonergan, Ross Brady, Karol Slattery; Richie Dalton, Niall Smith; Ciarán McManus, Seán Ryan, Anton Sullivan; Bernard Allen (0-02, 0-02f), Nigel Dunne (0-01, 0-01f), Niall McNamee (0-04).

Subs used: Thomas Deehan for Sullivan, Niall Darby for Dunne, John Reynolds for Ryan, Ken Casey (0-01) for Allen, Joe Quinn for Lonergan.

WEXFORD: Anthony Masterson; Joey Wadding, Graeme Molloy, Brian Malone; Adrian Flynn, David Murphy, Aindreas Doyle; Rory Quinlivan (0-01), Daithí Waters; Colm Morris, Redmond Barry (1-00), Eric Bradley; Ciarán Lyng (1-07, 0-04f), Shane Roche, Ben Brosnan (0-06, 0-03f, 0-01 '45').

Subs used: Paddy Byrne (0-01) for Roche, Adrian Morrissey (0-01) for Flynn, Brendan Doyle for Bradley, Liam Óg McGovern for Morris, George Sunderland for Quinlivan.

Referee: Padraig O'Sullivan (Kerry)

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up