National Football League Division 4 round-up

Waterford, Clare and Wicklow joined Limerick at the top of the table in Division 4 of the National Football League, following some close-run encounters this afternoon.

Waterford, Clare and Wicklow joined Limerick at the top of the table in Division 4 of the National Football League, following some close-run encounters this afternoon.

At Fraher Field in Dungarvan, it took a 68th minute point from Francis McGee for Longford to earn a 1-7 to 0-10 draw with Waterford.

Longford amassed 12 wides over the course of this game, with McGee's late point the only score from either side in the closing 24 minutes.

McGee settled the visitors early on as he netted a first minute penalty goal. Longford led by two points a minute before the break, but scores from Brian Wall and Tom Prendergast tied the game at 1-3 to 0-6 at half-time.

Both sides claimed some excellent points inside an 11-minute spell after the break with Waterford leading by 0-10 to 1-6 in the 46th minute.

Scores, however, were at a premium in the closing stages as McGee's fifth point ensured a share of the spoils.

It was also close in Cusack Park in Ennis as a late David Tubridy point earned Clare a slender 2-12 to 0-17 win over Leitrim.

Michael Foley kicked three first half points for the visitors, who domination possession in the opening half and led by 0-9 to 0-5 at the break.

Amazingly, Leitrim led by 0-13 to 0-7 with 25 minutes remaining, but Barry Toner's 48th-minute goal paved the way for a Clare comeback.

David Russell added a second goal for the hosts late on, with Tubridy's late point the icing on the cake as Clare stole victory at the death.

It was slightly easier for Mick O'Dwyer's Wicklow side as they cruised to a 0-14 to 0-7 win over 14-man Carlow at Aughrim.

Wicklow led by 0-7 to 0-3 at half-time, with Seanie Furlong (0-2), Stephen Canavan, Leighton Glynn, Rory Finn, Paul Earls and Ciaran Jones on target for the hosts.

Scores from John Kavanagh (0-2) and Sean Gannon kept Carlow in touch.

Carlow manager Luke Dempsey hoped that the introduction of former AFL star Brendan Murphy would give a signifcant boost to his side on the restart, but this failed to materialise.

Wicklow kept on top in the second half with good scores from Furlong, Glynn and Paddy McWalter.

The dismissal of Alan Curran, following a second yellow card in the early stages of the second half, did not help Carlow's cause, as Wicklow claimed a comfortable victory.

Meanwhile, London raced to a 1-17 to 0-2 victory over Kilkenny at Nowlan Park this afternoon.

Kilkenny led in the opening minute after corner-forward Paddy Raftice sent over the opening score.

London got on top thanks to points from Darren Horan and Aidan Fitzgerald, claiming a lead they would not relinquish as the Cats could only manage one further score.

Midfielders Paul Geraghty and Padraig Whelan were most impressive for London, bagging five first half points between them, as the Exiles led by 0-8 to 0-1 at half-time.

Geraghty's luck took a turn for the worst on the restart, as within 10 seconds of the throw-in the Galway native suffered a serious injury, with the game held up for 13 minutes as a result.

Despite the loss of Geraghty, London never looked troubled and pushed 1-10 to 0-1 clear, with Fitzgerald netting the only goal of the contest in the 51st minute.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up