DCU claim Sigerson Cup

DCU 1-11 UCC 0-10

DCU 1-11 UCC 0-10

Brian Sheridan was the hero for DCU who claimed their second Sigerson Cup with a deserved victory over UCC at Leixlip today.

The young Meath man finished with a personal tally of a goal and five points. A brother of Royals star, Joe, he was unerring from placed balls.

But it was his composed finish to the UCC net in the 41st minute after a direct run from Cathal Cregg that gave the winners a six-point advantage and enabled them to hold off the defiant Leesiders in the final quarter.

The DCU defence, brilliantly marshalled by Bryan Cullen, smothered the UCC attack very well, tackling in numbers and effecting numerous turnovers in the process.

The first half was very tight with Sheridan punishing a couple of silly indiscretions by the UCC defenders after Paul Flynn had opened the scoring for the winners.

Team captain, Paddy Andrews, added his side’s fourth point before UCC finally got off the mark with a point from distance by Kevin O’Driscoll, after Daithi Casey had drawn three defenders.

DCU were full value for their 0-6 to 0-3 interval lead and when Sheridan provided that consummate goal finish, it looked like curtains for the skull and crossbones.

The introduction of David Goold certainly had an impact for UCC though and he kicked two fine points within minutes. When Seamus Hayes added a score of his own, the deficit was down to three.

Significantly though, UCC did not create a goal opportunity until the deep into injury time, when Mark Collins’ blistering drive was tipped over the bar by DCU goalkeeper, Michael Boyle.

By that stage though, DCU were in charge, with Sheridan even having had the luxury of kicking a point from a 59th minute penalty, awarded when the big Meath man was tripped by David Limrick with the goal gaping.

DCU: M Boyle (Donegal); P McMahon (Dublin), K Gavin (Westmeath), K Nolan (Dublin); J Cooper (Dublin), B Cullen (Dublin), D Mooney (Monaghan); D Sheridan (Monaghan), H McGrillen (Kildare); R Flanagan (Cavan) 0-1(f), P Flynn (Dublin) 0-2, C Cregg (Roscommon) 0-1; P Andrews (Dublin) 0-1, B Sheridan (Meath) 1-5(0-4fs, 0-1pen), D Kelly (Sligo) 0-1. Subs: H Gill (Dublin) for Cooper (43); M Lyng (Cavan) for Cregg (54)

UCC: K O’Halloran (Cork); E Cotter (Cork), E Hegarty (Cork), S Enright (Kerry); D Limrick (Cork), A Greaney (Kerry), P Corrigan (Cork); M Shields (Cork), J Buckley (Kerry); K O’Driscoll (Cork) 0-1, S Kiely (Cork), D Casey (Kerry) 0-2; B O’Driscoll (Cork) 0-2(fs), S Hayes (Cork) 0-1, D Kearney (Cork). Subs: P Crowley (Kerry) for Greaney (ht); D Goold (Cork) 0-2 for Kiely (39); M Collins (Cork) 0-2 for K O’Driscoll (47); B Daly (Cork) for Corrigan (54); P Honohan (Cork) for Kearney (58)

Referee: Marty Duffy (Sligo)

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Discover the

Install our free app today

Available on


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.