Galway and Mayo head into FBD League final

Galway and Mayo will meet in the FBD League final on February 20 after wins over GMIT and Roscommon respectively this afternoon.

Galway and Mayo will meet in the FBD League final on February 20 after wins over GMIT and Roscommon respectively this afternoon.

Joe Kernan could afford to replace goal scorer Michael Meehan before half-time as his Galway side cantered to a 1-16 to 0-13 win over GMIT in Group A.

1,500 spectators witnessed an entertaining encounter at Moycullen with Galway particularly sharp in the first half.

The students were certainly on the back foot in the opening half as Meehan marked his return to action with a 15th minute goal, ensuring the Tribesmen held a comfortable 1-10 to 0-3 lead at the break.

Donegal native Stephen Griffin brought GMIT back into contention with a trio of unanswered points on the restart, but Galway always held that extra edge.

Nicky Joyce and Joe Bergin kept their side in front in the second half, and although Griffin and Stephen Kavanagh were gifted two goal-scoring chances in the closing stages, they failed to capitalise as Galway took a six-point win in the end.

Elsewhere in Group A, Sligo registered their first win of 2010 courtesy of a 1-12 to 0-9 victory over neighbours Leitrim at Carrick-on-Shannon. Kevin Walsh's charges were deserving winners in a game which saw Adrian Marron net the only goal of the hour.

Due to a superior scoring difference over IT Sligo, Mayo topped Group B thanks to a 1-9 to 0-8 win over Roscommon.

Mayo led by 0-5 to 0-4 at half-time, despite Ger Heneghan opening the scoring for Roscommon in the second minute.

A point each from Henegan and Gary Cox pushed Roscommon into the lead within three minutes of the restart, but Mayo failed to lie down.

Free-taker Mark Ronaldson was most impressive in this game and bagged 1-6 in all, the goal coming midway through the second half from a penalty.

Mayo led by 1-7 to 0-8 with ten minutes remaining and although Roscommon battled hard, late scores from Ronaldson and Andy Moran ensured a four-point win for their side.

IT Sligo claimed a slender 1-7 to 0-9 triumph over NUI Galway in the all-student clash at Ballinode.

This game was tight throughout with the university side racing to an early 0-3 to 0-0 lead, but a Danny Cummins goal had IT Sligo leading by 1-2 to 0-4 at half-time.

Both sides were at full strength for this tie ahead of their Sigerson Cup Round 2 matches this week.

NUIG foraged ahead at 0-9 to 1-5 late on, but IT Sligo staged a strong rally and a last-gasp point from Cavan's Eugene Keating saw them take the verdict by the narrowest of margins.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up