Shanahan goals the difference as Deise advance *

Waterford 2-17 Cork 0-20

Waterford 2-17 Cork 0-20

Waterford came with a second half surge to beat Cork for the second time in this year's championship with Dan Shanahan again rubber-stamping his reputation as the modern game's great goal-getter.

Shanahan (pictured) scored 2-1, bagging a goal in either half, as the Deise won today's All-Ireland quarter-final replay at Croke Park to qualify for their third semi-final since 1998.

Cork hit only one wide in the opening half as they took a 0-11 to 1-7 lead into the break, with their half-forward line in excellent form. But goals proved hard to come by for the Rebels as Shanahan showed them how it is done.

The Waterford half-back line of Tony Browne, Ken McGrath and Brian Phelan came more and more into the game as the Munster champions began to dominate possession.

A Stephen Molumphy through ball broke favourably for Shanahan to thunder a ground shot past Donal Og Cusack for his second goal, handing the Deise a 2-16 to 0-17 lead.

The strike took Shanahan's tally to a startling 8-8 in four championship games this year and Cork were almost out for the count.

Ben O'Connor, Cork's top scorer on the day with 0-9, flung over three late points but an injury-time free from Paul Flynn was the insurance score for the Deise as they move on to play Limerick in the last-four next weekend.

For the second week running these two arch rivals held the Croke Park attendance, which numbered 54,924 today, absolutely spellbound.

Both teams lined as selected during the week, meaning Cork were unchanged from the drawn game and Waterford introduced Brian Phelan and Shane Walsh into their line-up, with James Murray and Jack Kennedy losing out.

Cork found their rhythm early and Tom Kenny, put through by his midfield partner Jerry O'Connor, should have chalked up a third-minute goal but he shot straight at Waterford stopper Clinton Hennessy.

Points from O'Connor and Neil Ronan did open Cork's account and, in between, Hennessy was called on again to stop a miss-hit shot from Timmy McCarthy.

John Mullane lashed over Waterford's first point before Kieran 'Fraggy' Murphy replied to make it 0-3 to 0-1 in Cork's favour.

The sides were level on ten occasions during the replay as they fought for every square inch. Eoin Kelly and Ken McGrath (free) got the Deise back on terms initially, before McCarthy and Paul Flynn traded scores.

It was Waterford's turn to hit the front when Shanahan palmed the sliotar through the uprights, but Cork stepped on the gas to go 0-7 to 0-5 ahead with Kenny, Ben O'Connor and Joe Deane firing over successive points.

Then came Shanahan's first goal at the 20-minute mark. Cork 'keeper Cusack could do little as big Dan collected a hand-pass from Molumphy and spotting a sliver of the net, he thundered a stunning shot past both Diarmuid O'Sullivan and Cusack to add another memorable goal to his growing catalogue.

Two overs from Ben O'Connor sent Cork back in front, ten minutes from the break, and the Rebels' number 10 landed his third straight point before Eoin Kelly responded for Justin McCarthy's side.

Incredibly, Cork took all of 32 minutes to hit their first wide. It arrived off the stick of Timmy McCarthy but the 2005 All-Ireland champions' accuracy over the first half-hour had them one point to the good at the interval, 0-11 to 1-7.

A Kelly free, after a foul on Shanahan, saw Waterford open the second half scoring. Ben O'Connor then had a trademark dart forward before swinging over arguably the point of the day from an acute angle out on the right.

McCarthy tried to replicate that score but failed and Waterford were level at 1-9 to 0-12 when their team captain Michael 'Brick' Walsh burst forward to land a morale-boosting point.

Molumphy was turning into the Deise's playmaker when he teed up Mullane for the lead point, however two quick scores from Ronan and Deane (free) shot Gerald McCarthy's men back in front.

The midfield battle was fascinating to watch with all four of the sides' starting centre-fielders well able to take a score - they finished with 0-10 between them.

Cork still led (0-16 to 1-12) into the final quarter, but the game was turned on its head when Waterford bagged 1-2 in the space of three hectic minutes.

Points from Kelly and Seamus Prendergast were followed by Shanahan's second major in the 57th-minute. The Waterford number 11 hared through on goal after substitute Eoin McGrath had helped to break a Molumphy ball into Shanahan's pass and the Lismore man once again showed unerring accuracy to ripple the bottom right corner of the net.

When the goal went in Cork were in the process of emptying their bench, withdrawing the experienced Jerry O'Connor, Timmy McCarthy and Deane in favour of Kevin Hartnett, Niall McCarthy and Cathal Naughton but the moves backfired as the new men had little input.

Waterford's defence were clearly on top with the likes of Browne and Ken McGrath in stirring form.

Ben O'Connor was keeping the Rebels in touch from placed balls, but scores from Eoin McGrath and Flynn helped Waterford close the deal.

Their mental toughness, which has come into question on a number of big Croke Park occasions, was there for all to see as the Deise set up a rematch with Limerick, the team they beat by nine points to regain the Munster title last month.

Worryingly, Cork, who had used all five of their substitutes, finished the game with 14 men as corner forward Neil Ronan had to stretchered off the field after sustaining a head injury.

The Ballyhea clubman hit the deck hard and his injury was worsened when Waterford's Aidan Kearney inadvertently fell on him. There was a lengthy injury stoppage as Ronan was carted off but thankfully his injury is not as serious as first thought.

So Waterford keep on track for their first All-Ireland crown since 1959, and after their National League and Munster title wins this year and today's thrilling win, the Deise will certainly be favourites to beat Limerick in seven days' time.

This is the first year that Cork are not contesting an All-Ireland semi-final since 2002, but given the quality of their current squad and the number of Under-21s who have made the senior breakthrough or are on the verge of doing so, Gerald McCarthy's side will undoubtedly be back challenging for major honours next season.

CORK: D Og Cusack; S O'Neill, D O'Sullivan, B Murphy; J Gardiner, R Curran, S Og O'hAilpin; T Kenny (0-2), J O'Connor (0-2); B O'Connor (0-9, 0-6f), T McCarthy (0-1), P Cronin; N Ronan (0-2), Kieran Murphy (Sarsfields) (0-2), J Deane (capt) (0-2, 0-2f).

Subs used: C Naughton for Deane (53 mins), N McCarthy for T McCarthy (54), K Hartnett for J O'Connor (56), Kieran Murphy (Erin's Own) for Cronin (62), E Murphy for Kieran Murphy (Sarsfields) (68 mins).

WATERFORD: C Hennessy; E Murphy, D Prendergast, A Kearney; T Browne, K McGrath (0-1, 0-1f), B Phelan; M Walsh (capt) (0-2), E Kelly (0-4, 0-1f); J Mullane (0-2), D Shanahan (2-1), S Molumphy (0-1); S Walsh, S Prendergast (0-1), P Flynn (0-3, 0-3f).

Subs used: E McGrath (0-2) for S Walsh (45 mins), D Bennett for Mullane (63).

Referee: Barry Kelly (Westmeath)

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up