Tyrone power past rebels

Tyrone 1-17 Cork 0-14

Tyrone 1-17 Cork 0-14

The red hot Red Hands blazed a trail to the National League semi-finals in a Dungannon thriller.

A remarkable defensive record was extended to a seventh straight game without a goal conceded, and up front Gerard Cavlan and Peter Canavan were in sizzling form, hitting 12 points between them.

But it looked at one stage as if the Rebels would claim a place in the last four. They took the lead midway through the second half and appeared ready to take the contest by storm.

But Mickey Harte's side suddenly sprang to life, and cut loose with a devastating scoring burst, hitting 1-6 without reply to open up an eight points lead, thanks to Sean Cavanagh's 31st minute goal.

There was nothing to separate the sides inn the opening 15 minutes, with the sides locked at 0-2 each, the pick of the scores a magnificent acute angle effort from Tyrone's Stephen O'Neill.

The home side could have had a goal when Canavan cleverly knocked Brian Dooher's delivery into the path of Seamus Mulgrew, but hesitation at the crucial moment proved his downfall.

The Red Hands were, however, beginning to move sweetly at this stage, and reeled off four points in as many minutes through Gerard Cavlan, Enda McGinley, Canavan and defender Philip Jordan.

Colin Corkery was strangely off-key with his place kicking, missing two scoreable frees, but he floated a 45 between the sticks and added a fine effort from play to reduce the deficit to two points.

Defender Noel O'Leary surged forward to blast over a point in response to another Canavan free, and Cork could have gone in front on the stroke of half-time when James O'Shea sent Micheal O Croinin clear, but the Rebel full forward's low shot was superbly saved by John Devine.

Tyrone rallied immediately for Cavlan to stretch the lead to three points, 0-9 to 0-6 at the break.

Cork suddenly caught fire in the opening stages of the second half, with Nicholas Murphy and Graham Canty driving it forward from midfield and Noel O'Leary effective as an attacking half back.

Micheal O Croinin hit a couple of gems, Corkery fired over two long range efforts, and they eased ahead by 0-11 to 0-10 with 20 minutes to play.

Then it all began to happen for Tyrone. Canavan was the architect, creating and finishing with equal effectiveness, and it was his clever pass that sent midfielder Cavanagh through for the game's only goal with four minutes to play.

Now it was 1-16 to 0-12 in Tyrone's favour, and this was one they were not going to let slip.

Cork's frustration was compounded by the late dismissal of the impressive O'Leary for a second yellow card in the dying moments.

Tyrone: J Devine, R McMenamin, C Holmes, C Gourley, C Gormley, G Devlin, P Jordan (0-1), K Hughes (0-1), S Cavanagh (1-1), S Mulgrew, G Cavlan (0-5), S O'Neill (0-1), B Dooher, P Canavan (0-7), E McGinley (0-1). Subs: D Carlin for Gourley, M Harte for Mulgrew.

Cork: K O'Dwyer, N O'Donovan, N Geary, S O'Brien, S Levis, A O'Connor, N O'Leary (0-2), N Murphy, G Canty, J O'Donoghue, B J O'Sullivan, A Cronin (0-1), J O'Shea (0-1), M O Croinin (0-4), C Corkery (0-6). Subs: M Cronin for O'Connor, D Kavanagh for M Cronin, M McCarthy for O'Donoghue, T Kenny for Levis, C Crowley for BJ O'Sullivan.

Referee: B Crowe (Cavan)

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day.


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day.