Dingle, Stacks, O'Rahillys and Rathmore progress in Kerry

There were last-eight places up for grabs in the Kerry SFC this weekend.
Dingle, Stacks, O'Rahillys and Rathmore progress in Kerry

Dingle 2-13 Milltown Castlemaine 1-11

A resolute Dingle advanced to the quarter-finals of the Kerry SFC after shining against an inexperienced Milltown-Castlemaine side in Saturday's third round clash.

Shining the brightest was Kerry's star from the Munster final, Paul Geaney. His tally of 2-3 paved the way for Dingle and his cousins Mikey and Conor also got in on the act, scoring five and two points respectively.

Milltown-Castlemaine were rattled early on as key men Johnathon O' Sullivan and Ciaran Kelliher both picked up injuries. Despite these losses, the young Mid-Kerry outfit held their own for long spells and posed a threat in attack where Cathal Moriarty kept the game competitive with a seven point haul.

Austin Stacks 0-21 West Kerry 1-13

Kerry SFC champions Austin Stacks disposed of West Kerry in Tralee on Saturday evening to propel themselves into the last eight as they look to retain their title.

Kerry senior Kieran Donaghy gelled with Michael O'Donnell in the midfield to dominate West Kerry in all aspects of the game. Their assertiveness allowed David Mannix to keep the scoreboard ticking over while Michael Collins and forward Darragh O'Brien scored three points each from play.

Collins' black card in the second half allowed West Kerry to make some inroads. Seán Micheál O' Conchúir grew into the game, finishing with a tally of 1-7 while Marc O Se began to cause the champions some problems.

But Stephen Stack's men soon killed off the challenge as they ran out convincing winners.

Killarney Legion 2-12 Kerins O'Rahillys 3-12

On the surface, it looked like a closely fought contest but the scoreboard offered no indication as to how dominant Kerins O'Rahillys were.

Having established a 1-9 to 0-3 lead at the break, O'Rahillys looked en route to a big victory as David Moran, Jack Savage, John C O'Connor and goalscorer Barry John Keane frequently troubled the Legion defence.

James O'Donoghue, Jamie O'Sullivan and David O'Sullivan all tacked on points for Killarney Legion but the clinical Tralee side continued their dominance in the second half with Keane and Savage firing over points before John Ferguson scored two goals in quick succession to put the game beyond doubt at 3-12 to 0-8.

But all of a sudden, Legion came back to life as Conor Culloty and Kevin Breen found the back of the net, but it was too little, too late.

Rathmore 1-18 St. Kieran's 0-20

Rathmore emerged victorious against St. Kieran's at Fitzgerald Stadium on Sunday, after normal time failed to separate the sides.

Inter-county stars Aidan O'Mahony and Paul Murphy were influential with the former scoring four points from midfield, including the one that sealed a quarter final spot at the end of extra-time.

Rathmore dominated a slow starting St.Kieran's in the first half, leading 0-7 to 0-2 at the break. Phillip O'Connor kickstarted St. Kieran's after the interval, scoring three points from play.

In extra-time, it was Mark Reen who provided the decisive moment, slipping the ball into the net to take the lead at 1-16 to 0-14. St. Kieran's refused to give up and the outstanding Phillip O'Connor knocked over some impressive points before O'Mahony clinched the victory.

Read full reports from the weekend's matches in Monday's Irish Examiner

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Execution Time: 0.226 s