Christy Ring Cup: Antrim grind out win against Roscommon

Second-half goals from Conor Carson and Nigel Elliot secured a hard-earned 2-14 to 1-12 victory for Antrim over Roscommon in their Christy Ring Cup Round 2A encounter in Dunloy on Saturday.

Christy Ring Cup: Antrim grind out win against Roscommon

It was a far from convincing display by the hosts however, who struggled initially against a more committed Roscommon side that led 0-8 to 0-7 at half-time.

Their advantage was increased upon the restart thanks to a Jamie Lawlor goal and points from Michael Kelly and Jerry Fallon. Momentum swung in Antrim’s favour after captain Carson netted in the 49th minute and with defence on top, the hosts secured victory thanks to Elliot’s goal seven minutes from time.

Ciarán Clarke proved Antrim’s match-winner once again with the Ballycastle player accruing seven points over the duration, including four from open play.

It proved similarly tight in Owenbeg as Down finished strongly to defeat Derry by 1-18 to 1-15, confirming their place in next year’s renewal. There was a keen edge to proceedings from the outset, with a Shane Farren point handing Derry the early initiative.

The visitors replied through points from Danny Toner and Brook Byers but they received a body blow when Oisin McCloskey scored a superb individual goal for Derry in the 10th minute.

Down remained in contention through corner-forward Oisin McManus but late points by Ruairi Convery and Farren inched Derry into a 1-7 to 0-9 interval lead.

A Byers’ goal put Down 1-9 to 1-8 ahead early in the second half but Farren’s 39th-minute point saw the Oak Leafers lead 1-12 to 1-11 entering the final quarter.

Convery looked to have salvaged a draw with a long-range free in the 70th minute but Down added three points in reply to confirm their win.

In Arklow, Gerry Keegan struck 10 points in helping Kildare to register a comfortable 0-17 to 0-9 win over an ill-disciplined Wicklow.

Martin Fitzgerald handed the visitors a slender 0-7 to 0-6 interval advantage with full-forward Christy Moorhouse accounting for all of Wicklow’s first-half scores.

Keegan’s prowess from placed balls ensured the Lilies pulled away after the break with his six points added to by scores from Ross Bergin, Mark Moloney and Niall Ó Muineacháin. Wicklow’s misery was compounded by the triple sending-off of Moorhouse, Billy Cuddihy and Gavin Weir in injury-time.

Meath booked their place in the semi-finals following a 2-17 to 1-16 win over London.

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd