Milford power home again

AIB All-Ireland Senior Club camogie final - Milford (Cork) 2-8 Killimor (Galway) 1-3: Milford returned to the summit of senior club camogie in resounding fashion, displaying an assertiveness in both defence and attack that Killimor had no answer to at Croke Park yesterday.
Milford power home again

This showpiece was a repeat of the 2013 final, when Milford won the first of two consecutive AIB All-Ireland senior club titles and after falling at the penultimate hurdle last term, have ensured their place as the dominant club side of their generation with a third success in four seasons.

They led 0-6 to 0-0 at half time and were full value for that advantage.

Each member of the full-forward line were on target inside six minutes and there was danger every time they got on the ball inside the opposition 45.

To compound matters for Killimor, they were wasteful at the other end and missed a series of chances to get themselves on the scoreboard. Instead Emer and Maria Watson hit two late points to give the Cork crew a healthy interval lead.

One would have expected Killimor to come back with renewed vigour in the second half and they certainly increased their tempo. Claire Conroy sent a rasper of a shot high to Rebecca Finn’s right within two minutes of the resumption.

Milford had a huge let off seven minutes later when Annmarie Starr was adjudged to have overcarried by Alan Lagrue, before she rifled to the net.

As Milford manager John Brudair admitted, that score might have changed the momentum of the game had it stood.

“The main thing when you get to finals is to win it and they laid the platform having a nice lead at half-time, six points to no score” said Brudair.

“They left Killimor in there a bit softly with a goal just after half time and we probably got them a bit nervous but other than that, I thought they were well in control. But if Killimor’s second ‘goal’ had stood, it would have made it a very edgy finish. But I think we’d more scoring power and more efficiency in attack.”

Indeed that let off seemed to re-ignite the Milford girls and their hard work was rewarded with a clinical goal from Maria Watson.

The build up to her strike started with some stirring defensive play by Anna Geary, who was named player of the match. Geary broke out of defence and flighted a lovely delivery towards Marie O’Neill drew the cover before timing her pass to Watson perfectly before applying a wonderful finish.

The youngest player on the team, 16-year-old Laura Stack pounced for another goal eight minutes from time.


R Finn, D Hayes, M Walsh, L Healy, E O’Riordan, Á Watson, A Geary, O O’Mahony, A Thompson (0-1), L Stack (1-0), D O’Reilly, C O’Connor, E Watson (0-3, 2fs), M O’Neill (0-1), M Watson (1-3).


B Flanagan for Hayes (55), E O’Friel for O’Connor (58), K Galvin for Healy (59), G O’Connor M Watson (60+5), A Dillon for Thompson inj (60+5).


H Campbell, S Brien, K Brien, S Fahy, A Brehony, AM Hayes, M Callagy, E Haverty, A Starr, D Starr, M Conroy, S Brehony, C Conroy (1-2, 0-1f), B Hanney, S Keane (0-1).


H Quinn for S Brehony (ht), E Porter for Haverty (57), S O’Hara for A Brehony (60+1).


A Lagrue (Kildare).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up