Treacy said that he was shocked to discover that there were issues with the management as none had been raised by the players in their dialogue with GAA officers.
But one delegate told last night’s annual Galway convention that “every dog in the street” knew there were issues between the players and manager Anthony Cunningham long before the county committee said they became aware of them in early October.
Leitrim-Kilnadeema delegate Michael Flanagan said it was well known there were issues between the players and management before he was ratified “Every dog in the street knew there was a problem in Galway hurling. To say that the officers had no recollection of anything at all is very bad,” he said.
But Galway chairman Treacy said that players made no mention of any problems when they met county secretary John Hynes in early October, a week after Cunningham had been reappointed for 2016.
“On Saturday morning October 3rd. last, the 2015 elected players’ panel gave our county secretary, John Hynes, a conclusive positive report on the out-turn for the year.
“How shocked we all were, when two other players gave a totally different story later that day,” said Treacy.
He said that there was no history of issues with the managerment and that the players’ representatives had not raised any problems.
“I have chaired the county team managements panel for the past four years. It consists of officers, managers and players and never once did any player raise an issue about any manager, coach or selector, or style of training, coaching or otherwise, during those four years and no problem was ever brought to our attention, at any time, by anybody,” added Treacy.
Galway secretary John Hynes said no problems were raised when he met the players’ representatives.
“I met with players’ representatives on Saturday 3rd October to review the players’ charter and background of the players holiday. I met with them in the Maldron Hotel and we went through the players’ charter and there was a few small issues with gear and pool allowance.
“There was no other issue raised. They stood up shook my hand, were very happy with the year and walked out the door.
“I went home was doing the last winter cut of the lawn when I got the call to say there was a serious problem — that was the 3rd of October,” said Hynes.
Cunningham stepped down as Galway manager on November 16 after four seasons in charge.
Six candidates have been nominated for the position and interviews are due to start this week after county committee officers are finalised for the year.