The Cargin and former Antrim midfielder says he was “shocked” by the incident which allegedly took place in the 36th minute of Sunday’s game, sparking a free-for-all involving up to a dozen players.
Cargin manager John Brennan was the first to allege a biting incident had taken place following the club’s 2-15 to 0-13 defeat in the Athletic Grounds, insisting the player had a mark on his neck after being bitten.
McCann yesterday reaffirmed his manager’s claim.
“It did happen,” he revealed.
“I was shocked by it because it has never happened me in my career before, but I knew immediately what it was.
“I reported it straight away to the ref and it’s in his hands now. Congratulations to Crossmaglen on their victory and that’s really all I want to say.”
Crossmaglen are strongly refuting the allegation but joint-manager Oisin McConville confirmed they will co-operate in any potential inquiry.
“We have asked our players was anybody involved in a biting incident and they have said categorically ‘no’,” he said.
“That is good enough for us. We take the allegation seriously, but we have conducted our own investigation and are satisfied with it.”
The contents of referee Joe McQuillan’s report will now be crucial in determining whether the Ulster Council proceed with an investigation.
The fact McCann reported the incident suggests it will be referenced in McQuillan’s official report.
“We won’t be privy to the referee’s report for a while and usually we don’t bother getting it unless somebody is sent off or we need to take a look at something,” said McConville.
“If something is mentioned in the referee’s report, I’m sure we will be informed.
“We don’t know what’s in the referee’s report because we don’t know if something was reported to him. It’s not what we need right now, but if an investigation happens we are happy to co-operate.
“Anything the Ulster Council wants to do, we will facilitate that. At the moment, all our focus is on an Ulster semi-final.
“We have to prepare for Kilcoo and we have a big two weeks ahead. It’s important to use the time wisely.”
Biting allegations are becoming more prevalent in the GAA in recent seasons, but investigations are frequently hampered by a lack of evidence.
Allegations Meath player Mickey Burke had his finger bitten by a Dublin player in last year’s Leinster final were not pursued when Meath decided to drop the issue.
In 2013, Dublin footballer Kevin O’Brien was proposed for a three-match ban for an incident involving Paddy McBrearty during a league match but the Donegal forward chose not to give evidence at a hearing.