Éire Óg set up St Joseph’s clash

The quarter-final pairings for the Clare SFC were finalised at the weekend.

The biggest winning margin of Round 3 went to Éire Óg at Cusack Park when they defeated Lissycasey 3-16 to 0-6, setting up a last eight clash with St Joseph’s Miltown Malbay.

The Ennis club outclassed their opponents with an impressive display of clever football and an excellent work-rate. Ahead 2-8 to 0-0 by the 23rd minute, the Townies had early goals from Eoin Glynn and full-forward Stephen Hickey.

The half-time scoreline read 2-12 to 0-1, with Lissycasey’s only score coming from midfielder Conor Finnucane. Éire Óg grabbed their third goal 21 minutes after the break, when defender Dean Ryan hit the back of Joe Hayes’ net, to complete an unanticipated rout of Lissycasey who never got to grips.

Cooraclare are also through to the quarter-finals thanks to a big win over Ennistymon at Quilty on Saturday. They finished 2-13 to 1-3 in front at the final whistle, after leading 0-7 to 0-2 at half-time.

Inter-county star Rory Donnelly (pictured below) accounted for 0-4 of his team’s total.

Cathal Lillis was in for the winner’s opening goal in the 35th minute. Joe Dowling replied with an Ennistymon goal before Tadhg Lillis grabbed a second Cooraclare three-pointer to send them through to a last-eight clash with Doonbeg.

In a relegation battle at Miltown Malbay yesterday, St Breckan’s had a two-point victory over Shannon Gaels 1-10 to 1-8. At half-time the North Clare outfit held a 1-4 to 0-6 lead. Their first-half goal was scored by half-forward Aiden Davidson. The Gaels pulled a goal back after the break through Noel Kennedy but couldn’t overhaul their opponents and now face a final outing to try and remain in senior ranks.

Their opponents in the relegation decider will be Liscannor, who lost out to Kilrush Shamrocks at Miltown yesterday 1-5 to 1-4. A late Liam Madigan point in the 60th minute decided the outcome of a game that now sees the Shams retain their senior status for another year.

The sides were level on 0-3 apiece at the break with Madigan grabbing Kilrush’s goal in the second period, while Johnny Considine was Liscannor’s goal scorer.

O’Curry’s will face reigning champions Cratloe in the quarter-finals following a win over 2011 and 2012 finalists St Joseph’s Doora-Barefield at Kilmihil yesterday. But they had to go to extra-time to achieve victory, coming out on top 2-12 to 0-16.

At the interval in normal time St Joseph’s, aided by a slight breeze in the opening half, were in front 0-7 to 0-4. An O’Curry’s goal from the penalty spot early in the second-half by Eoin Troy levelled matters at 1-5 to 0-8 and at the end of normal time, a last-gasp point by O’Curry’s Jack Scanlan sent the tie to extra-time.

Another penalty in the opening half of extra-time, again by Troy, aided the West Clare club in advancing to the last eight.

Kilmurry-Ibrickane also made it through, thanks to a 0-16 to 1-9 triumph over St Senan’s Kilkee at Doonbeg last evening. The 2011 and 2012 champions led by 0-9 to 1-5 at the break with Kilkee’s goal coming on 30 minutes through Dara Kelly. But the Seasiders faded in the second half, succumbing by four points in the end setting up a Kilmurry v Clondegad quarter-final clash.

Clare SFC quarter-final draw: Éire Óg v St Joaseph’s; Miltown Doonbeg v Cooraclare; Kilmurry-Ibrickane v Clondegad; Cratloe v O’Curry’s.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up