Abbeyside win puts Passage under pressure

Waterford SHC

Abbeyside win puts Passage under pressure

Champions Passage are under severe pressure to reach the knockout stages of the Waterford senior hurling championship following defeat by Abbeyside at Walsh Park on Saturday.

The Villagers posted their first win of the campaign after an exciting encounter (1-21 to 2-15). Last year’s semi-finalists dictated the opening quarter and raced into a seven point lead (0-9 to 0-2).

Passage produced an amazing turnaround to lead by a point at halfway. Eoin Kelly touched in a Pa Walsh delivery on 28 minutes to level the match and Killian Fitzgerald nudged them in front (1-9 to 0-11).

Abbeyside regained control on the restart and with seven minutes remaining John Hurney’s dropping ball travelled all the way to the net. That goal sent them seven clear again (1-20 to 1-13).

Gary and Patrick Hurney, along with Mark Ferncombe, inflicted the damage up front, while Richie Foley also starred at midfield.

As darkness enveloped the city venue, Conor Carey snatched an injury time goal but Abbeyside withstood the late pressure to claim victory. With just two draws to show from three games, Passage face a crunch fourth round tie with Fourmilewater on Friday night to save their fading title hopes.

Table toppers De La Salle qualified for the quarter-finals with a comprehensive eight point dismissal of Fourmilewater at rain swept Bunmahon (1-16 to 0-11). David Greene’s ninth minute goal had them 10 points clear by the break (1-11 to 0-4) and they then coasted through a rather dull second period. Jake Dillon snapped up seven points, Greene delivered 1-3 and Shane McNulty burst forward from midfield for two points. Their opponents started without inter county players Liam Lawlor and Shane Walsh as well as minor star Conor Gleeson. Jamie Barron battled for the Fourmile cause and finished with eight points.

In the curtain raiser at Walsh Park, Lismore needed injury time points from Maurice and Dan Shanahan to squeeze past Roanmore (2-15 to 2-13) and boost their quarter-final prospects. A Maurice Shanahan double blast put Lismore into a 2-8 to 0-6 interval lead. The Sky Blues re-emerged a different animal and Eamonn Power kickstarted the comeback with a goal three minutes after the restart. Shane Nolan then teed up Brian Nolan for a second major after 42 minutes. A Gavin O’Brien free edged them one up (2-11 to 2-10). It was score for score entering the closing stages and the game seemed destined for a draw when Shane Nolan equalised in the final minute of normal time. A disputed injury time free allowed Maurice Shanahan shoot his side into a narrow lead. Older brother Dan followed up with the insurance score from play. Both of these teams sit on three points with two rounds remaining.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up