High-flying Gort turn on the style

Richie Cummins hit two goals as Gort gave the performance of the weekend in the Galway SHC and are now sitting top of Group B, with two wins from two, after defeating Clarinbridge 4-10 to 1-9.

High-flying Gort turn on the style

Jack Grealish was also in fine form for the south Galway club and rattled two goals for the 2011 champions on the way to an easy victory.

Gort led 2-5 to 0-5 at the break thanks to Grealish’s early wonder strike and then Cummins put more daylight between the sides when he was set up by Grealish.

Grealish hit his second goal on the resumption and Cummins hammered home his second after a goalmouth scramble. Meanwhile Barry Keane’s goal was only a consolation for Clarinbridge, who lie third in the group after this loss.

Sarsfields defeated Mullagh on a scoreline of 0-20 to 2-12 in the opening game of the weekend thanks to late points from Kerril Wade and Niall Morrissey.

The teams were level on 11 occasions and with nine wides in the first half, Sars should have stretched clear of their rivals.

Galway senior, Joseph Cooney, was in form and got his name on the scoresheet with a point in the first half but it was Cathal Dervan who found the net to keep Mullagh in touch.

Justin Gainer also goaled for Mullagh but it wasn’t enough and they are now rock bottom in Group A while Sarsfields are just one place better off after their first win.

Meanwhile, Loughrea and Killimordaly couldn’t be separated in Athenry on Sunday as they finished 0-19 to 1-16.

Galway’s Johnny Coen played his part but it was Brian Burke of Killimordaly who stole the show, hitting 12 points, with nine coming from the placed ball.

But it was the goal from Paul Madden halfway through the second half that began the revival from Killimordaly after they had trailed for long periods.

When Johnny Maher failed to goal from a penalty, Andrew Daly stepped up to secure a draw for Killimordaly.

Tommy Larkins were victors over Kilnadeema-Leitrim in Group B on a scoreline of 0-16 to 0-12.

Jason Flynn was on target early on for Larkins and they led by 0-8 to 0-5 at the break, with Kilnadeema-Leitrim getting the last three points of the half.

Larkins continued to lead throughout the second half but former Galway county star, David Tierney, had a chance to level the game late on, only for his free to be saved, and Jason Flynn to put a free up the other end, to seal the victory.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up