St Vincent’s ease into quarter-finals

Despite conceding a sloppy goal just before the half-time whistle, St Vincent’s still had enough scoring power to see off gritty Glenville in this fourth-round contest at Riverstown on Saturday to set up a quarter-final clash with either Ballingeary or Naomh Abán.

It was far from an impressive show from Vincent’s though, often overplaying the ball in their own half. Yet they were always that bit sharper and smarter on the ball than Glenville, who were thankful for two brilliant second-half saves by goalkeeper Kieran Cronin to deny both David O’Connor and Anthony Buckley certain goals.

And Glenville were also fortunate to see Cian Barry put his shot over the bar in the first-half with the goal at his mercy.

“Look, Glenville are a sticky side and we knew they would come at us,” said Vincent’s coach Keith Ricken. “We seemed to lose our shape late in the first-half, but I thought we regrouped well, freshened things up in the second half and got some nice points. We have a few injured lads to come back yet, that will be a bonus, but we finished the game well tonight and we’re happy.”

After jumping into a quick three-point lead courtesy of corner-back David Collins, Kyle Lynch and Cian Barry. St Vincent’s looked comfortable enough until Paudie Cahill got Glenville’s opening point from a tight angle in the 14th minute. He got a second from a free out on the left three minutes later and Vincent’s began to struggle subsequently, despite leading 0-4 to 0-3 nearing half-time.

Then sloppy play between Paddy O’Shea and corner–back Wayne Murphy left Glenville centre-forward Kieran Coakley in splendid isolation and he stroked the ball into an empty net to give his side a 1-3 to 0-5 lead at the break.

St Vincent’s introduced John Paul Murphy to the action for the second-half and he rowed in with two fine points. Sloppy early shooting by Murphy, Derek O’Connor and Anthony Buckley didn’t augur well for the city side, especially when Shane Bergin stretched Glenville’s lead. But they settled down well, took control around midfield and came at the Glenville defence with far more gusto. And it was all square, 0-8 to 0-5, after the third quarter, keeper Cronin making that fine save from O’Connor for a point, and it was still all to play for.

Despite Trojan work by Glenville captain Brendan Healy, Glenville weren’t firing up front, Cahill and William Connelly much quieter in this half, and Vincent’s turned on the power. A superb brace of points from Murphy and two more from Anthony Buckley, one a free, saw off a dogged Glenville challenge, with Cronin making another great save to deny Buckley a goal in the 48th minute.

Scorers for St Vincent’s: A Buckley 0-4 (3fs), C Barry and JP Murphy 0-2 each, D Collins, K Lynch, D O’Regan and D O’Connor 0-1 each.

Scorers for Glenville: K Coakley 1-0, P Cahill 0-2 (1f), J Foley, S Bergin, W Connelly, B Healy 0-1 each.

ST VINCENT’S: P O’Shea; D Collins, P Aherne, W Murphy; C Kenneally, A O’Callaghan, D O’Regan; S Rea, S Buckley; D O’Connor, J Buckley, T O’Connell; C Barry, A Buckley, K Lynch.

Subs: J P Murphy for J Buckley (ht), G Kelleher for Aherne (34), A Harter for Barry (35), Barry for O’Connor (55).

GLENVILLE: K Cronin; D McCarthy, S O’Callaghan, W O’Leary; B Healy, P O’Regan, P Cronin; N O’Riordan, S Bergin; E O’Reilly, K Coakley, W Connelly; B Moloney, J Foley, P Cahill.

Sub: D Buttimer for Bergin (49).

Referee: D O’Leary (Kiskeam).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Home Delivery


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.