Kennedy snatches late Thurles leveller

ALL-IRELAND minor football medallist Seamus Kennedy scored an equalising point in the 10th minute of stoppage time as Thurles CBS salvaged a replay from a gripping Dr Harty Cup quarter-final with Tipp rivals Nenagh CBS at Dolla yesterday.

Referee Fergal Horgan added an extra 11 minutes and that gave 2009 champions Thurles the time they needed to snatch a draw in front of a bumper crowd.

After the regulation hour, Nenagh were on course to avenge their 2010 semi-final defeat by Thurles as they led 0-16 to 1-11 but the seven-time winners struck late with a 1-2 haul to level proceedings.

In the fourth minute of injury time, Kevin Slattery pounced for a close range goal, after Pat Ralph’s viciously-struck 20m free was saved, and, incredibly, late points from Conor Lanigan (free) and Kennedy ensured a replay next week.

Nenagh will argue far too much added time was played but it was a stop-start affair in the second-half and a serious injury to Nenagh full-back Niall Gleeson held the game up for four minutes. Thurles also racked up 16 wides, including 10 in the second-half, and suffered from free-taking troubles throughout the game.

Clonoulty-Rossmore’s Sean Maher helped himself to three points from play for Thurles but the centre-forward was also guilty of five wides in thesecond-half.

Nenagh mentors will hope their players are not scarred psychologically after letting the lead slip in the dying minutes, but they certainly won’t lie down in the replay and have a potential match winner in Jason Forde. On home soil, the Silvermines star scored 0-9, including five frees and a sideline cut.

Forde was to the fore in the opening half as Nenagh, who conceded the opening two scores, hit a purple patch of eight points without reply toestablish a commanding 0-8 to 0-2 lead.

Conor Lanigan’s 23rd minute point ended a 17-minute barren spell for Thurles and, by half-time, they were in touch, trailing by 0-7 to 0-9.

Midway through the second period, the sides were level at 0-11 apiece before Nenagh stepped on the gas again and cruised into a 0-16 to 0-11 lead with a run of five unanswered scores. With Thurles profligate in front of goal, Nenagh looked on course for a sweet victory but there was still time left, plenty for it, for Thurles to mount a remarkable comeback.

Scorers for Thurles CBS: K Slattery 1-1, Sean Maher (Clonoulty-Rossmore) 0-3, P Ralph 0-3 (2f), C Lanigan 0-3 (2f), C Hammersley 0-2, S Kennedy 0-1.

Scorers for Nenagh CBS: J Forde 0-9 (5f, 1 sl), P Fogarty 0-2, J Loughnane, T Gallagher, S O’Brien, P Shanahan & J Mackey, 0-1 each.

THURLES CBS: J Maher; J Bourke, J Ryan, B Troy; R Maher, S Kennedy, C Quirke; S Nally, S Cahill; C Hammersley, Sean Maher (Clonoulty-Rossmore), K Slattery; E Moriarty, P Ralph, C Lanigan.

Subs: J Meagher for Moriarty (40), Sean Maher (Sean Treacys) for Cahill (54), P Hayes for R Maher (60+6).

NENAGH CBS: W Power; D Quinn, N Gleeson, S Cleary; E Hynes, J Peters, J Flaherty; J Loughnane, T Gallagher; P Shanahan, C Delaney, S O’Brien; J Forde, P Fogarty, J Mackey.

Subs: C Leo for Gleeson (inj, 37), K Gleeson for Mackey (60+2).

Referee: F Horgan (Knockavilla Donaskeigh Kickhams).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up