O’Sullivan allays stadium fears

CORK County Board chairman Jerry O’Sullivan hopes Páirc Uí Chaoimh’s already-reduced 43,500 capacity won’t be further reduced for next summer’s potential Munster marquee games.

O’Sullivan allays stadium fears

A Sunday newspaper report suggested the size of the venue could be cut to as little as 20,000 or 30,000 based on an initial GAA-commissioned audit — the Slattery Report — by independent health and safety inspectors.

However, the association’s National Infrastructure and Safety Committee (NISC) chairman Seamus McCloy has already clarified there is no agreement regarding the reduction of capacities.

O’Sullivan also poured cold water over the slashed figures that were reported and expressed his belief that the stadium’s size won’t be affected considerably for the prospect of Cork entertaining Tipperary in a Munster SHC semi-final and Kerry in a SFC last four game.

“The report doesn’t specifically deal with Páirc Ui Chaoimh, it has to be said,” O’Sullivan pointed out. “We recognise things aren’t ideal at present but there are plans to build a new stadium and it’s well known they are at an advanced stage. Páirc Uí Chaoimh’s capacity has already been reduced from 50,000 to 43,000. Depending on results, we could have two big games in Cork next year. We have possibly Cork and Tipp in hurling and Cork and Kerry in football and I would hope the capacity isn’t cut to an unrealistic level.

“Everybody agrees Páirc Uí Chaoimh is a fantastic stadium but it’s one that needs updating and upgrading.”

Despite the proposed stadium revamp having been given the go-ahead by Cork City Council last month and work possibly beginning late next year, the Cork County Board are still committed to ensuring the capacity isn’t impacted upon next summer.

“We’ve an important job in doing all the right things for next year,” said O’Sullivan. “We would all love to have an ideal situation but there are major developments ahead for Cork GAA. We’ve worked with the Munster Council before when there were things that needed addressing in Páirc Uí Chaoimh and we’ll be reviewing the operation.”

What is all but certain is the days of grass banks at inter-county matches will be a thing of the past from next year as the GAA attempts to improve its health and safety standards.

Ironically, the Slattery report was paid for by county boards, with each contributing €2,000 towards the cost.

Leinster Council chairman Martin Skelly admitted all 12 of the province’s counties have had the capacities of their principal grounds reduced, with 10 of them having met the province’s infrastructure committee.

The Longford man also revealed funding will be required to improve a number of the venues with the boards themselves having to make contributions.

“In some cases there will be a lot of finance required,” acknowledged Skelly. “These are very difficult times but I would imagine counties will only do what they can afford to do. The days of taking out large mortgages are just not possible within the association. We are talking with Croke Park and hoping that some funding may be available. We have to look at it from our point of view to see what we can do. Maybe the Government might see their way with the new sports funding grants.”

In Leinster, Páirc Tailteann, Navan (a provisional capacity reduction to 10,000) and St Conleth’s Park, Newbridge (from 12,000 to 6,000) are among the major stadiums that stand to be hit, with Dublin’s Parnell Park and Longford’s Pearse Park also being affected unless the required measures and improvements are taken.

“A lot of items in the report pertain to entrance,” explained Skelly, “how many people can enter or exit at the one time and the other area is there are some obstructed views which people can’t see the ground, areas that wouldn’t be health and safety factors.”

Skelly stressed not all the work pertains to health and safety while a lot of what is required is cosmetic.

“I’d imagine by the time the National League commences a lot of work as regards exits, extra turnstiles, ancillary facilities like toilets, spectator comfort, a lot of those issues will have been dealt with. It has been taken very, very seriously.”

x

More in this section

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited