Urhan withstand gallant Garnish surge

URHAN made no mistake at the second time of asking to claim the Beara JAFC final in Castletownbere on Saturday, but not before withstanding a gallant fightback by Garnish.

Saved by a last-minute point in the drawn game, the winners managed to open up a three-point lead in the third quarter of this replay where Garnish on three occasions subsequently reduced the lead to the minimum but could never reel in the defending champions who now face Mitchelstown in the quarter-final of the County championship.

A big improvement will have to be sought from the Beara representatives if further headway is to be made having struggled on both occasions to cope with a determined Garnish outfit. In fact it took 25 minutes to open their scoring account in a game where the sides were level at two points apiece after an uneventful opening half.

In the third quarter Urhan gave a determined push towards the retention of their crown by kicking three unanswered points after which they had to defend desperately before reclaiming their title.

On a showery afternoon, conditions militated against good football but any that was played in the opening 25 minutes came from the challengers. Despite being pitted against the strong cross-field wind, Garnish, with Seán ‘Terry’ O’Sullivan excelling, were top dogs early on. Tom Bowe was denied a goal for them in the 13th minute after a great save from the winners’ keeper Martin McCarthy. And at that stage, Paudie ‘Bernie’ O’Sullivan’s point was all they had to show for their early dominance before Urhan’s Vinny Lehane finally opened their account five minutes from half time.

It was two apiece at the break after which Lehane, Declan Healy and top forward Conchúr Harrington eased Urhan clear before the late Garnish surge twice brought them to within a point of the winners who just about held out in a hectic finish.

Scorers for Urhan: C Harrington 0-5 (3fs), V Lehane 0-2, D Healy 0-1f.

Scorers for Garnish: T Bowe, P ‘Bernie’ O’Sullivan 0-2 each, J Harrington, F O’Sullivan, S ‘Terry’ O’Sullivan (f) 0-1 each.

URHAN: M McCarthy; PJ Cadogan, J Dwyer, L Daly; B Healy, M O’Shea, D Cronin; J Healy, D Dwyer; M O’Neill, C O’Sullivan, D McCarthy; C Harrington, V Lehane, D Healy.

Subs: S O’Shea for D Cronin, I O’Sullivan for M O’Neill.

GARNISH: M O’Sullivan; C Harrington, B Walsh, H O’Sullivan; S ‘Terry’ O’Sullivan, E Murphy, D Harrington; J Harrington, B ‘Terry’ O’Sullivan; C O’Neill, K O’Sullivan, A Harrington; D Henshaw, T Bowe, P ‘Bernie’ O’Sullivan.

Subs: F Sheehan for E Murphy (inj), A O’Sullivan for D Henshaw, F O’Sullivan for K O’Sullivan, O O’Sullivan for C O’Neill.

Referee: M Maher (Nemo Rangers).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Execution Time: 0.216 s