Fitzgibbon four-goal blast for Adare

A FOUR goal blast from John Fitzgibbon saw Adare book their place in the Limerick SHC quarter-finals and lay down a marker to all contenders in the remaining eight.

In the weekend’s final round of group games, Adare blew Croom away in a repeat of their 2007 county final game.

Just like that final, Croom had no answers to Adare who ran out 4-19 to 1-9 winners in Croagh.

The barrage of goals from Fitzgibbon led the way towards a 4-13 to 0-3 interval lead.

His strikes came just 48-hours after being a member of the Limerick U21 panel that won the extra-time epic against Cork in the Munster final.

Declan Hannon scored the winning goal in that U21 final and he hit seven points from frees for Adare.

Joining Adare from their group are Na Piarsaigh, who were 3-12 to 0-13 winners over Bruree.

But the city side didn’t have it all their own way with Paddy Kelly and Gerard O’Dea helping Bruree into an early lead.

But goals before the break saw Na Piarsaigh gain the initiative with David Breen and Kevin Ryan netting the vital scores for a 2-6 to 0-6 lead. In the second half, Shane O’Neill added their third goal as they advanced to the last eight.

Another team into the quarter-finals and with a 100% record are Doon.

They were 0-16 to 1-11 winners over Knockainey in Claughaun.

Doon led 0-9 to 0-6 at half time with Micheal Ryanleading the scoring with frees.

Mark Cleary and Pat Kirby kept Knockainey in contention and then a Kirby goal after the restart sawKnockainey lead 1-7 to 0-9 before further points from Donal Madden helped them into position to create a shock.

But frees from CathalMcNamara and Ryan saw the East Limerick side snatch a third win on the trot.

They are joined from this group by Ahane, who drew with Murroe-Boher 1-13 each in Caherconlish on Saturday evening.

But scoring difference was enough for Ahane to advance.

A Niall Moran goal helped Ahane into a 1-8 to 0-4 early second half lead but Michael Ryan hit back with a goal for Murroe-Boher and they looked destined to reach the last eight until SeanO’Connor popped up with late scores to level the game.

Also in the last eight are champions Kilmallock.

They were 3-15 to 2-7 winners over intermediate champions Hospital/Herbertstown in Bruff.

The champions led 0-10 to 1-5 at the break but powered towards the winning line on the restart.

But the result was still good enough to see Hospital-Herbertstown sneak into the quarter-finals as a result of scoring difference over both South Liberties and Garryspillane.

Liberties beat Garryspillane 2-12 to 2-8 in Claughaun but needed a greater winning margin to advance.

Garryspillane had two penalties saved in the opening half with brothers Donie and David Ryan failing to convert and their side trailed 1-6 to 1-4 at the break.

William Hickey scored the goal for the winners while Liam Power goaled for Garryspillane.

In the second half David O’Neill found the net for Liberties, with Colm Hickeyreplying for Garryspillane.

The final two sides into the quarter finals were confirmed yesterday evening.

Patrickswell were 0-15 to 0-10 winners over Granagh-Ballingarry, while inBallyagran last season’s beaten finalists Emmets were 1-14 to 0-14 winners over Bruff.

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd