Déise begin recovery process

WATERFORD’S hurlers met in Dungarvan yesterday morning for a recovery session and an intense debriefing following their 21-point Munster final defeat to Tipperary.

Contrary to reports, they did not train and met at 9 o’clock, not 6am, for three hours.

Following the recovery session in the sea, the management and players gathered for a bloodletting session.

All members of the camp were given the opportunity to air their feelings about the performance and the result.

The decision to stage the meeting so soon after the game was taken by management as a measure to address the serious issues arising from the game and prepare for their All-Ireland quarter-final against Galway as quickly as possible.

It was yesterday announced that next game against John McIntyre’s side will be played at Semple Stadium on Sunday week with a 4pm throw-in.

As is the norm for most inter-county players after a major championship game, the majority of the panel had taken the day off work yesterday.

On Sunday evening, Waterford forward Richie Foley tweeted that nobody died and that Waterford would be back.

Meanwhile, Dan Shanahan appeared on TV3 and RTÉ radio last night where he defended Fitzgerald’s management.

The Lismore man, who retired at the end of last season and was heavily critical of Fitzgerald in his autobiography, said the manager and his selectors were not to blame for the heavy loss.

“The management can only do so much and when the lads cross the white line it’s up to them to do it. You can’t pin-point the finger at anyone,” he told TV3.

“He’s got a fair amount of criticism but I’m not going to criticise him. He knows himself if he made mistakes and he can rectify them for the Galway game.”

Shanahan also believes his former teammates can bounce back in Semple Stadium on Sunday week.

“In the game against Galway, nobody will give them a chance. It’s going to be hard to lift yourself after a defeat like that but I think the lads are well capable of doing that.”

Shanahan added: “The Munster championship is gone and the All-Ireland championship is in so it’s a different championship. That’s what they have to keep saying (to themselves). Waterford don’t fear Galway, believe you me.”

However, Shanahan later went on RTÉ Radio to claim the decision to move Michael ‘Brick’ Walsh from centre-back to full-back was wrong.

“If you pick Brick at the edge of the square you have to leave him at the edge of the square.

“At one stage, John O’Brien had him (Brick Walsh) at corner-back and young Jerome Maher in at full-back with Lar Corbett.

“It doesn’t make sense having him there if he isn’t full-back. Personally, I’d have him centre-back. He’s an astounding centre-back.”

Meanwhile, RTÉ say they are unaware as to the reason or reasons why Tyrone manager Mickey Harte continues to refuse to be interviewed by them.

On The Sunday Game this past weekend, presenter Des Cahill revealed Harte had once again turned down a request to be interviewed, this time following his side’s qualifier win over Longford on Saturday.

Earlier in the championship, Harte had led a managerial boycott of RTÉ in support of journalist and commentator Brian Carthy and elected not to talk to RTÉ after Tyrone’s Ulster quarter-final against Monaghan.

Despite Harte confirming afterwards that the stand-off had come to an end, he then declined to be interviewed after the semi-final defeat to Donegal.

“We requested an interview with Mickey Harte after the game, as we do of all managers in games, but he declined the opportunity, which is his prerogative,” said RTÉ spokeswoman Laura Fitzgerald.

Harte was the subject of a comedy sketch on John Murray’s radio show last month.

RTÉ said they were unaware if any offence was caused to the Ballygawley man by the item.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up