Speaking on Aussie Rules TV show Before The Game, the Listowel man bemoaned the reaction in Ireland to comments in his autobiography that he planned to ‘lay down a marker’ from the throw-in.
The All Star admitted he had not proof-read the section of the book covering the All-Ireland in the book due to the celebrations after their victory over Cork.
The 28-year-old was keen to defend himself against charges that he had gone out to inflict harm on the Cork midfielder.
“I got in a bit of trouble” he said. “I wrote about it in the book.
“When we’d played Cork previously they’d beaten us and I’d felt they’d physically intimidated us. And I’d said to my team-mate that I was going to be physically tough and be in their faces. But I never intentionally went out to clean the guy out. They made me out to be a total pr**k.
“I want to be physical but I don’t want to hurt another player intentionally.”
Ironically, Kennelly, who plays for the Swans against the West Coast Eagles today, was the victim of a head-high tackle himself in his round 1 return to the AFL and had to be helped from the field after suffering concussion.
He maintains that he has made the right decision to return Down Under nonetheless.
“(I’m) loving it. It’s great to be back. It wasn’t too good after round 1 when I was eating the dirt after Zac Dawson cleaned me up. I was thinking of heading straight back on the plane” he joked. “As a player, all you want to be sure of is that your head is protected.”
Meanwhile, Setanta Ó hAilpín has been named in the half-forward line for Carlton’s clash with three-in-a-row chasing Premiership kingpins Geelong Cats on Monday.
After a flying start to the season that yielded seven goals in two games, the Cork native’s last two outings have produced a combined total of two goals and 16 disposals.