Delaney fears for GAA seven-year strategy plan

LEINSTER secretary Michael Delaney has warned that the GAA’s seven year strategy is doomed to failure without the hard work and proactive approach of all Association members.

Delaney is fearful the ‘Strategic Vision and Action Plan’ will fail to deliver on its promises if people believe the proposed initiatives ‘will fall seamlessly into place.’

“I detect this type of feeling at some levels already, especially at county and provincial level” he states in his report to annual convention in Kinnegad on Monday.

“Nothing could be further from the truth. Complacency will destroy this initiative if it is allowed set in. The challenges are huge and we must all play our part in taking them on.”

Delaney, one of the most experienced full-time officials in the Association has called on all GAA people to play their role in the scheme.

“Our destinations, on a series of fronts, have been clearly identified, the road maps have been drawn and the forms of transport have been provided. The drivers have been identified for the various stages of the journey. It just remains for us to put the jigsaw together!”

Additionally, what makes it different to every other report of its kind, rather than being handed down by a group of so-called experts, it came from ‘within themselves and those around them.’

“Consultations were held with members and non-members, those who support us and those who don’t, players, mentors, match officials and supporters at all levels. The results of this consultation process were professionally and painstakingly analysed and from this exercise has emerged our Action Plan for the next seven years.”

Elsewhere in his report, he admits the entry of Galway and Antrim in to the Leinster senior hurling championship ‘has exciting prospects.’ And, recalling that there had been opposition to the move – including some from ‘established’ hurling counties – he ‘warmly and sincerely’ welcomes the two counties to their competition.

“Both counties will be treated with respect but only the same as our own counties.”

At a more general level, Delaney says that one of the more disappointing aspects of their 2008 club championship programme was that a number of counties failed to meet deadlines to allow their champions participate. Of greater concern to the Council, he says was that the nomination of some venues – especially at junior and intermediate level — left a lot to be desired, adding: “bowing to local pressures in situations like this is not acting responsibly.”

The Council has already made the draws, giving counties nine months notice and potential host venues must be nominated at least four weeks in advance of the competitions starting.

More in this section

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited