So easy for champions Rathnure

THE eight qualifiers for the Wexford SHC quarter-finals were revealed after a series of group games on Saturday.

While St Martin’s, Buffers Alley, Oulart-the-Ball and reigning champions Rathnure were already through, they were joined by St Anne’s (Rathangan), Shelmaliers, Rapparees and Rathgarogue-Cushinstown.

At Enniscorthy on Saturday afternoon, Buffers Alley continued their winning way with an unimpressive 2-14 to 1-12 victory over Duffry Rovers.

Having trailed 0-10 to 1-6 at the interval, the Alley looked like losing their unbeaten record, as a Damian Fitzhenry 33rd minute goal from a 21-metre free handed the Duffry a three- point advantage, 1-10 to 1-7.

Inspired by the accuracy of Pat Doran from frees, the Alley went on to eventually secure victory with a Keith Burke goal on 39 minutes setting them on their way.

The Duffry will be disappointed with their third- quarter fade-out, but they had little to offer in attack apart from the threat of Damian Fitzhenry who scored 1-3 from placed balls, while Pat Doran contributed 0-7 of his side’s tally.

Having led 1-8 to 0-6 at half time with the goal coming through Stephen Doyle, Oulart-the-Ballagh went on to a comfortable 4-15 to 0-17 victory over a disappointing Cloughbawn outfit.

Oulart-the-Ballagh were in control for the most part, with Cloughbawn fading following a bright start, as Harry Kehoe and Joey Lawlor chipped in with a string of points.

But the second half was all Oulart-the-Ballagh, with Dessie Mythen, returning after a long-term injury, scoring 1-1, while Michael Jacob and Darren Nolan also scored goals in what was a one-sided second half.

A David ‘Doc’ O’Connor inspired St Anne’s held out for a narrow 1-20 to 2-15 victory over St Patrick’s (Camolin), gaining their quarter-final spot on scoring difference of a single point.

Having led 1-12 to 2-5 at the interval, St Anne’s were made to battle for victory. Despite the contribution of 0-9 from O’Connor, it was Pierce White who chipped in with the all important first-half goal.

Reigning champions Rathnure had matters all their own way as they cruised to an easy 2-19 to 1-9 victory over a weak Monageer-Boolavouge outfit.

Veteran Paul Codd was the side’s main marksman with 0-8. However Nigel Higgins also left a huge impression for the winners with 1-2, as they remain on course to retrain their title.

Rathgarogue-Cushinstown caused somewhat of a mild surprise with a 3-17 to 3-7 victory over Marshalstown.

Shelmaliers battled their way through with an impressive 2-14 to 0-11 victory over Glynn-Barntown, while St Martin’s held off the challenge of Faythe Harriers, eventually winning 1-15 to 0-16.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up