Galvin stars as Feale shock Gaeltacht

TEAK tough Paul Galvin played a leading role as Feale Rangers dumped hotly-fancied An Ghaeltacht out of the AIB Kerry SFC in this quarter-final at Austin Stack Park, Tralee last evening.

The Finuge star put the finishing touches to a stellar performance when he initiated the movement that resulted in Sean McCarthy sending over the winning point three minutes from full time.

However, this was an upset that was on the cards from the throw-in as An Ghaeltacht struggled to get a grip on the game.

They drew level towards the end of the first half, then led momentarily before being pegged back again at 0-3 apiece at the break. Tomás Ó Sé’s long-range point four minutes from full time might have earned them a draw but for that fighting finish by the North Kerry men.

Galvin was a constant thorn in their side and was behind practically every worthwhile move as his side took over in the second half.

An early point from full-forward McCarthy set the mood and while it was still dour and dogged, the amalgamation were playing with that extra spring in their step.

Galvin, lining out on the half forward line, covered every square centimetre of the pitch and he launched the attack from the back that resulted in a Noel Kennelly point from a free to increase their advantage to two points.

Feale were now kicking high balls into the forward line and this posed problems at the back, where An Ghaeltacht defenders resorted to fouling and were punished by an in-form Kenneally, who scored five points from frees that proved decisive in a tight game.

An Ghaeltacht were thrown a lifeline 19 minutes into the second half when Cathal Mac Gearailt was fouled in the square and Dara Ó Cinnéide put the ball in the net from the ensuing penalty to leave just one point between the sides.

An Ghaeltacht went after the equaliser and Galvin, shipping some big tackles, might have had the ball in the net in a crowded goalmouth melee, and when Tomás Ó Sé scored the equaliser from long range he was back to start another movement that brought in Kennelly and led to a great point from McCarthy to restore their lead.

Scorers: Feale Rangers: N Kennelly 0- 5 (frees), S McCarthy 0-2, E Fitzmaurice, E Galvin, S McCarthy 0-1 each. An Ghaeltacht: D Ó Cinnéide 1-2 (1-0 penalty), D Mac Gearailt 0-2, S Ó Conchúir and T Ó Sé 0-1 each.

FEALE RANGERS: S Quinn (Emmets); J McCarthy (Emmets), P Corridan (Finuge), K Quirke (Duagh); B Guiney (Emmets), E Fitzmaurice (Finuge), D Griffin (Duagh); B Whelan (St Senan’s), A Fitzmaurice; P Galvin (Finuge), N Kennelly (Emmets), E Galvin (Finuge); B Scanlon (Emmets), S McCarthy (Emmets), D Galvin (Emmets). Sub: A Maher for A Fitzmaurice.

AN GHAELTACHT: M Ó Mainin; D Ó Sé, M Mac Gearailt, R Aghas; T Ó Sé, R Ó Flatharta, M Ó Sé; D Ó Sé, R Mac Gearailt; T Ó Conchuir, SM Ó Conchúir , E Mac Gearailt; C Mac Gearailt, D Ó Cinnéide, A Mac Gearailt.

Subs: D Mac Gearailt for E Mac Gearailt (36), B Breathnach for R Aghas (40), P Ó Cuinn for T Ó Conchúir (45); C Ó Muircheartaigh for Daithi Ó Sé (50 mins).

Referee: Michael Curran (Dromid Pearses).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd