Mone a class apart as clinical Clontibret prove too strong for Truagh

Clontibret 1-12 Truagh 0-9

A MORE focussed, clinical Clontibret proved too strong for Truagh in this tough, no holds barred contest that threatened to boil over on occasions.

Clontibret’s victory was based on a high level of teamwork but it was a performance that was also powered by top class displays from John Paul Mone in midfield, Dessie Mone at centre back and Vincent Corey at full forward with John Paul Mone’s high fielding a feature of the game. Corey opened the scoring with a goal after just six minutes and Clontibret took increasing control with Truagh struggling and making life that much more difficult when they were reduced to 14 men with the dismissal of Mark Kelly in the 25th minute.

Clontibret led at half time by 1-6 to 0-3 and while Truagh pulled back two early points Clontibret mounted another period of power play that saw them hit five points without replay to go nine points up and no way back for the challengers.

Scorers: Clontibret: V Corey 1-1, C McManus 0-3, D Mone 0-2, P Duffy, M Corey, JP Mone, P McGuigan, N Malone, N Morgan 0-1 each. Truagh: N Clerkin 0-4, B Cuddy, K Sheerin, G Meehan, M Counihan, M Owens 0-1 each.

Referee: B Walsh (Ballybay).

Magheracloone 1-7 Castleblayney 0 -9

MAGHERACLOONE held out in a hectic finish to record the narrowest of victories to book their place in the final of the senior football championship at the expenses of Castleblayney in what was a totally absorbing contest in Clontibret yesterday.

Tommy Freeman swung over the winner from a magnificent 60 metres free kick six minutes from the end of normal time but it was a backs to the wall finish as Castleblayney piled forward to try and salvage the situation.

Castleblayney led by 0-3 after just six minutes, Ciaran Hanratty proving a real handful for the Magheracloone defence. Tom Freeman got Magheracloone off the mark in the 7th minute and by the end of the first quarter they were in front thanks to a goal from a penalty by Keith Gilsenan after Damien Freeman had been brought down by Castleblayney keeper, Padraig McBennett.

In the second quarter Castleblayney regained the initiative and four unanswered points between the 24th and 32nd minutes saw them go in two to the good at the break 0-8 to 1-3.

Within 10 minutes of the restart Magheracloone were back on level terms thanks to points from Tom Freeman and Paudie Finnegan and more importantly they were winning more possession out around the middle. Ciaran Hanratty restored Castleblayney to the lead in the 13th minute but that was to be their last score of the game as Magheracloone got two unanswered points — from James Ward in the 18th minute and the winner from Tom Freeman some eight minutes later.

Scorers: Magheracloone: T Freeman 0-5, K Gilsenan 1-0, P Finnegan 0-1 J Ward 0-1. Castleblayney: C Hanratty 0-5, K Tavey 0-2, C Brady 0-1, P Conlon 0-1.

Referee: G McCarron (Emyvale).

More in this section

Join us for a special evening of Cheltenham chat on Friday March 12 at 6.30pm with racing legend and Irish Examiner columnist Ruby Walsh, Irish Examiner racing correspondent Tommy Lyons, and former champion jockey and tv presenter Mick Fitzgerald, author of Better than Sex.


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Home Delivery


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.