Doon lucky to grab draw with CSN

Doon CBS 1-6 Coláiste Spioraid Naoimh 0-9

The Limerick side were out-hurled by a far more skilful CSN side for much of the game. Had the Bishopstown side, in their first Harty campaign, been more ruthless, they would now be in the semi-final.

The Bishopstown side hit 12 wides, nine in the first half, had a penalty saved and saw Shane O'Neill miss four scoreable frees he would normally convert.

O'Neill, along with Ronan Conway, gave CSN a firm grip at midfield for the majority of the match. However after creating two gilt-edged chances for himself, O'Neill twice took the wrong option; going for goal when points would have sufficed in such a tight game.

CSN were the clear masters in the first half. O'Neill and Conway were rampant, Micheal Aherne had an outstanding game at centre-back while Denis Crowley was using his physique very effectively at full-forward.

Crowley won his side their penalty in the 15th minute. Aherne's effort was saved on the goal-line and CSN's first half was characterised by wasted chances, their 0-5 to 0-2 half-time lead not a true reflection of their overall superiority. After the interval, CSN continued to dictate matters. Conway was denied a certain goal by Doon keeper Brendan Byrne five minutes after the resumption. Still, CSN dominated. O'Neill missed a 30-metre free by inexplicably going for goal before Aherne opened the second half account with a point in the 40th minute.

Doon struggled all afternoon against a teak-tough CSN defence for whom Brian Murphy and Terence O'Donoghue starred. Brian Fenton's 44th minute introduction finally gave the Doon attack a cutting edge.

With his first touch, Fenton struck for an opportunistic goal. Moments later, Doon had the ball in the net a second time, Tony O'Donoghue flicking it into the net, but the goal was disallowed because of a square infringement.

Fenton's appearance galvanised the Doon side. With only minutes remaining, they hit the front for the first time, thanks to points from Ciaran Ryan and Mick Fitzgerald.

The closing moments throbbed with excitement as both sides pushed for victory. They were level twice before Crowley looked to have sent CSN into the semis with a point as the game entered injury-time.

After missing a chance to level matters from a 30-metre free, Fitzgerald displayed great vision to find the unmarked Paudie McNamara from another free for the equalising score right on full time.

Scorers CSN: S. O'Neill 0-3 (frees); M. Aherne 0-2 (frees); R. Conway, R. Dwyer, B. Nunan, D. Crowley 0-1 each.

Doon: B.Fenton 1-0; M. Fitzgerald 0-2 (0-1 free); E. Kiely (65), C. Ryan, R. Ryan, P. McNamara 0-1 each.

CSN: K. O'Halloran; D. McSweeney, M. O'Donoghue, B. Murphy; S. Fitzgerald, M. Aherne, T. O'Donoghue; R. Conway, S. O'Neill; B. Nunan, M. Shields, P. O'Sullivan; R. Dwyer, D. Crowley, E. Joyce. Sub. R. Buie for Shields.

DOON CBS: B. Byrne; P. Fitzgerald, H. Butler, R. Dunne; G. Allis, E. Kiely, A. Hickey; D. Moloney, C. Cronin; J. Bradshaw, M. Fitzgerald, R. Ryan; T. O'Donoghue, P. McNamara, C. Ryan. Subs. M. Fenton for Moloney; B. Fenton for Cronin.

Referee: D. Farrell (Mitchelstown).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up