Closure of Fraher Field takes toll on West Waterford coffers

DELEGATES at Thursday night’s annual convention of the West Waterford GAA Board in Knockanore will be told of a significant financial loss for the year.

For the first time in several years expenditure outstripped income, but while a loss of almost €7,000 is a cause of concern, the overall financial situation is healthy.

The main reason for the loss is that Dungarvan’s Fraher Field was closed for most of the year because of resurfacing and drainage works, while the board also made a €10,000 contribution to the County Board towards that work.

There is unlikely to be any officership contest, with the entire executive set to be re-elected en bloc.

Fourmilewater’s Pat Grant, current chairman of County Bord Na nOg, has been nominated for the chair, but is unlikely to oppose the outgoing Paddy Walsh of Colligan, who is entering a tenth successive year in the top post.

Secretary Anthony Walsh says that while the Association remains vibrant in the division there are some clubs existing virtually in name only. “Clubs’’, he says, “who just fulfil championship fixtures and have no further input into the Association’s affairs.

Predictably the secretary pinpoints Waterford’s first ever Munster Under 21 football title win as the “highlight of 2003. “A victory’’, says Mr. Walsh, “that evoked a sense of unbelievable pride and joy countywide’’.

However, he is highly critical of the long-fingering of the Championship and claims that local championships were “relegated to a back seat” during the summer to facilitate the county team’s participation in the Munster championships.

“The needs of about 10% of the players determines the participation of the other 90% in the championship, and it is the duty of the incoming board to ensure that this will not happen again,” says Mr. Walsh.

Chairman; Paddy Walsh, Colligan, outgoing; Pat Grant, Formilewater; Vice chairman; Tom Cunningham, Stradbally, outgoing; Secretary; Anthony Walsh, Colligan, outgoing; Assistant secretary, Pat Grant, outgoing; Treasurer, Eddie Cunningham, Tallow, outgoing; Registrar Seamas O’Brien, Abbeyside/Ballinacourty, outgoing; Representatives to County Board (3), John Lyons, Tallow, Paddy Walsh (Fourmilewater), Tomas O Cadhla, An Rinn, all outgoing.

More in this section

Price info
IE_180_logo
Price info

Subscribe to unlock unlimited digital access.
Cancel anytime.

Terms and conditions apply

Puzzles logo
IE-logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.

GAATitleGAATitleGAALogo

Mon, Oct 18

St Finbarr's v St Michael's

Páirc Uí Rinn
8pm

Sun, Sept 26

Clyda Rovers
v
Mallow

SAFC Round 2

Glantane
2pm

Sport
Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo
IE-logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.