Galmoy prove a class act

Galmoy (Kilkenny) 2-19 Oran (Roscommon) 0-9

However, the hurling sharpness of a better-balanced Kilkenny outfit proved too much for Oran, who were over-reliant on centre-back Francis Quine and veteran brothers Adrian and Colm Kelly.

The second half was a procession with the game over long before the final whistle.

Galmoy looked the part from the start, with two points from free-taker Martin Phelan (who ended up with nine) and a slick opportunist third from classy corner-forward Russell which put them 0-3 to 0-0 ahead after just five minutes.

Oran replied with two from Colm Kelly and a long-ranger from midfielder Adrian to tie it up, and from there to Russell’s first goal.

The full-size width and length of Semple Stadium was made for the sharper, nippier Galmoy fifteen, and it was to Oran’s credit that they managed to stay in touch.

Oran keeper Emmet Fetherston was blameless for the first Galmoy goal; after making a fine save he could only watch helplessly as a ball that should have been cleared blasted past him. Seconds later, he made another brilliant save and cleared.

After more Galmoy pressure, another shot looked to be secured by Fetherston, but atypically, he dropped the ball and the alert Russell was left with a simple tap to the net. That made the score 2-8 to 0-6 in the 27th minute, and Oran were suddenly in serious trouble.

The second half was one-way traffic, Galmoy showing the kind of class that wouldn’t have looked at all out of place in the senior club championship as they reeled off eight points without reply, with Oran becoming increasingly frustrated.

That frustration led to a series of yellow cards, then a straight red to substitute Mark Dwyer. Disappointment for them, and for their large, colourful and vocal following, but a deserved win for classy Galmoy.

Scorers: Galmoy: M. Phelan 0-9 (0-4 frees 0-1 65); P. Russell 2-3; N. Doherty 0-3; D. Gray 0-2; M. Brennan 0-1; B. Doherty 0-1 (free).

Oran: C. Kelly 0-5 (0-3 frees); A. Kelly 0-4 (0-3 frees).

GALMOY: L. Drennan; P. Doyle, B. Lonergan, C. Doherty; P. Delaney, M. Brennan, N. Doherty; B. Doherty, D. Doyle; D. Gray, M. Phelan, N. Doherty; P. Russell, K. Lonergan, A. Gray.

Subs: P. Brennan (Gray 44); D. Delaney (capt. Doyle 53); G. Doherty (Lonergan 55); B. Delaney (P. Delaney 58); L. Doherty (C. Doherty 60).

ORAN: E. Fetherston; P. Crehan, S. Lawless, D. Kenny; P. Hannon, F. Quine, M. Burke; A. Kelly (c), S. Staunton; T. Crowley, K. McDermott, G. Fallon; J. Crehan, C. Kelly, D. Beirne. Subs: J. Shelly (Crehan 36); B. Flynn (Beirne 36); M. Dwyer (Staunton 36); E. Morris (McDermott 57).

Referee: J.A. Gribbon (Down).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd