Beware of wounded Cork, warns Ó Sé
“I wouldn’t like to be the side drawn out of the hat to meet Cork,” reflected Kerry midfielder, Darragh Ó Sé yesterday.
“If they get a good run at this, they are not out of the All-Ireland running yet.
“They have huge energy levels, great fitness and Sunday’s game will bring them on football-wise,” he said.
He should know, being part of a Kingdom midfield that was under the cosh for most of the game, and in virtual panic mode for the last 15 minutes.
In fact, the Kerry selectors were forced to cram the area with as many centre-field substitutes as possible in the last quarter to try and stem the tide of possession towards their goal.
The irony is that Ó Sé, written off by many critics, was the most influential Kerry midfielder on view, and but for some wayward shooting could have finished with three points.
Kerry coach Jack O’Connor and his selectors are beginning to reap a back-handed reward from Darragh Ó Sé’s lengthy absence last year, as they are with Seamus Moynihan.
Kerry fitness trainer Pat Flanagan explained that Darragh Ó Sé has enjoyed an winter training programme uninterrupted by injury, and is profiting accordingly.
But the absence of a consistent midfield partner remains a source of serious concern. O’Connor is of the view that Kerry have plenty of good midfielders, they only to find the right pairing.
The time to find that blend is now, a full month before the Munster champions run out in Croke Park for the All-Ireland quarter-final.
With Declan O’Sullivan beginning to find his form at centre forward, and Eoin Brosnan at his best in a central position, the selectors hand may be forced to some degree. But there are a number of All-Ireland winners vulnerable to the chop, as Eamonn Fitzmaurice and William Kirby found out for Sunday’s final.
While the defence again held firm, the tally of 1-6 from the Kerry forwards is hardly prolific finishing. Attackers Ronan O’Connor and Bryan Sheehan both made substitute appearances, and they must still believe there are opportunities up front.
Man of the match Tomás Ó Sé spent Sunday night in Cork, and while he acknowledged the Rebel effort, he felt there was a lot of plusses for the victors.
“It is always a good sign of a side to come back from a half-time deficit. We were three points down a few minutes before the break, and turned it around, restricting Cork to three points in the second half.
“We held up the ball well, especially late on, and that made a difference. But we’ll have to work on things like giving away possession in wrong areas of the field.
“Last year, we seemed to improve with each game, and we are now looking for another step-up for the quarter finals,” said Tomás.



