Keane is odds on to replace Cregan
Keane confirmed yesterday he is interested in taking on the job and if the adulation showered on him at the final whistle on Wednesday night in Thurles is any indication, he would be a very popular choice.
“This is my third year with the U21 team and they have given Limerick hurling a tremendous boost with this incredible run of 14 games without defeat over the last two-and-a-half years.
“Certainly I’m interesting in the senior post but it is out of my hands. It’s up to the county board to pick their man,” he said.
Obviously I would like to take on the job, but it’s for others to make the final decision.”
Limerick chairman Donal Fitzgibbon said no decision will be made on the appointment of a new coach until the September county board meeting.
“We have asked the clubs to submit names, but I’m surprised only six took the trouble to do so,” he said. “Maybe they feel Keane’s appointment is a fait accompli.
“From talking to club officials the general consensus is Keane should be offered the job. There has be no discussion with him because of his involvement with the U21 team in Wednesday’s Munster final.
“It was vital that both he and the players kept their focus on that game. There are only two games left in the under-21 championship, and it would be unfair on all concerned to talk about anything that could be seen as a distraction from trying to retain our under-21 All-Ireland title.
“The county management committee hope to sit down in the coming days and interview people who are interested in the position. It would be our intention to present his name at the county board meeting in September for ratification.”
Fitzgibbon said Wednesday’s extra time victory over Tipp was a win that didn’t look likely in normal time, but credit was due to Keane and his selectors who “managed to drag the very best our of the players in extra time”.
“While it’s a tremendous result for us, my one plea to our supporters is to be patient. Under-21 success is no automatic guarantee of senior success and it will take time to mould a winning senior team. But we are certainly going in the right direction.”
Another man prepared to throw his hat into the ring is former coach Tom Ryan, who has taken Cork side Newtownshandrum to the county SHC semi-final in his first season in charge.
When Ryan was previously Limerick’s coach in the 1990s he took the county to National League honours in 1997, as well as to two All-Ireland finals, 1994 and 1996.
“Of course I’m interested in the position. Anyone with Limerick hurling at heart would be. But the decision on who gets the job is not mine,” he said.
“The one gripe I would have is that the appointment should be made immediately. I cannot understand the delay. The county SHC is down to the quarter-finals and the new man should be in position in order to access any potential talent that might come through.”



