Lethal Greene edges UL through

University of Limerick 0-12 Galway/Mayo IT 1-8

Operating at full forward, the former Galway minor landed half of his side’s tally as UL clinched a semi-final place against champions Waterford IT on March 4.

With both teams fielding a host of inter-county players this was expected to be a lively affair but it failed miserably to live up to its billing despite the closeness of the scoreline.

Apart from Green’s excellent free-taking, the home side were also well served by Kerry goalkeeper Tadgh Flynn; corner-back Brendan Bugler, Niall Moran at midfield and Paul O’Flynn at wing-forward who scored two excellent points.

GMIT were a huge disappointment. Colm Burke, David Collins, Barry Loughnane and Shane Kavanagh who pointed two frees from inside his own 65, defended well, but their attack lacked penetration with only Kevin Huban and Barry Hanley posing any real threat.

The sides were level five times and with both defences on top, scores were at a premium.

The teams were level at 0-3 apiece at the end of the opening quarter but the steady influence of Niall Moran at midfield saw an improvement in UL while Green’s accuracy from frees put his side 0-6 to 0-3 clear. However, GMIT finished the half strongly and Shane Kavanagh’s two excellent points from long range frees left the minimum between them at the break.

The visitors resumed with a little more passion and were level by the 35th minute after Barry Hanley pointed his second free, and the sides were still deadlocked by the three quarter stag.

The excellence of Niall Moran at midfield however caused the GMIT defence to concede frees and Greene punished them time and again, pushing his side four clear 0-12 to 0-8 as the game went into injury-time.

Barry Hanley found net for GMIT after great work by Dylan Hayden but there was no time left to snatch the equalising point.

Scorers: UL: D. Greene 0-7 (0-6 frees); N. Moran (0-1 free, 0-1 65), P. O’Flynn 0-2 each; J. Gantley 0-1. GMIT: B. Hanley 1-3 (0-3 frees); S. Kavanagh (frees), K. Huban 0-2 each; N. Earls 0-1 (free).

UL: T. Flynn (Kerry); B. Bugler (Clare), J. Devane (Tipperary), A. Murphy (Wexford); R. Conlon (Clare), R. Hayes (Limerick), G. Flood (Wexford); N. Moran (Limerick), M. Culbert (Clare); P. O’Flynn (Kilkenny), J. Gantley (Galway), D. McCormack (Kilkenny); B. Carroll (Offaly), D. Greene (Galway), J. Henaghan (Waterford). Subs. D. Breen for McCormack; B. Coleman for Culbert; N. Kenny for Henaghan.

GMIT: S. O’Connor (Offaly); C. Burke (Galway), F. Tierney (do.), N. Rodgers (Offaly); D. Collins (Galway), S. Kavanagh (do.), B. Loughnane (Clare); D. Forde (Galway), M. O’Donnell (Limerick); C. Burke (Galway), K. Huban (do.), N. Earls (do.); D. Garvey (do.), D. Hayden (Offaly), B. Hanley (Galway). Sub. T. Cavanagh (Galway) for Earls.

Referee: J. McMahon (Clare).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Execution Time: 0.218 s