Nelson Piquet will attempt to revive his career via a NASCAR truck test next week.
The Brazilian has been out of work since being dropped by Renault in early August, a move that sparked the now infamous ’crashgate’ scandal.
Although Piquet has reiterated his target remains a return to Formula One, that would appear unlikely, even though he claims he is talking to other teams.
However, if the comments of Toyota and Red Bull team principals John Howett and Christian Horner are anything to go by in Japan last week - both said they would not employ Piquet - it is difficult to see the 24-year-old in F1 in 2010.
With Piquet desperately looking for employment, he has accepted the chance to test a Toyota Tundra for Red Horse Racing who compete in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
It is a far cry from F1, yet Piquet said: “Red Horse Racing invited me and I found it interesting. It’s a different world that I’ve never experienced.”
Speaking to Autosport, Piquet dismissed the prospect of switching to NASCAR, adding: “That’s not really the plan.
“This is more about exploring an exciting opportunity. I’d never even seen a car like this and it will be a good experience to see how it is.
“I would be interested in driving many kinds of cars if I had the opportunity, whether it was a rally car, Indycar or anything like that.
“I did a round of the Porsche Supercup a few years ago and I did the Le Mans 24 Hours, which was an amazing experience.
“I definitely want to do Le Mans again. But my focus is still on F1. I will not rest until I have proven myself in F1.”
Piquet will test the Toyota Tundra at Rockingham Speedway in North Carolina on Monday along with another Brazilian in Vitor Meira who currently competes in Indycar.
Red Horse Racing owner Tom DeLoach said: “It’s not an easy thing to do to go from an open-wheel background to racing stock cars.
“But they are both immensely talented and have the ability to be successful in any series they choose to race in.”