Manny Pacquiao will fight three-time world champion Miguel Cotto in Las Vegas on November 14, their promoter announced today.
Top Rank chief executive Bob Arum, who represents both fighters, said Philippines hero Pacquiao, who knocked out Britain’s Ricky Hatton in the second round of their light welterweight title fight in Vegas on May 2, would face Puerto Rico’s WBA/WBO welterweight world champion at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in a pay-per-view television event.
“Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto have reached an agreement to fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Saturday, November 14,” Arum said.
“The fight will be seen live on HBO Pay-Per-View. Top Rank is working on a major media tour to start right after Labour Day (September 7). Further details will be announced as we get closer to kicking off the tour.”
Pacquiao (49-3-2, 37 KOs) has risen to the top of the pound-for-pound rankings over the past 19 months thanks to victories in four different weight divisions over Juan Manuel Marquez (super featherweight), David Diaz (lightweight), Oscar De La Hoya (welterweight) and most recently Hatton (light welterweight).
Cotto (34-1, 27 KOs), was in action more recently, narrowly defeating Ghana’s Joshua Clottey by split decision at New York’s Madison Square Garden last month.