Floyd Mayweather Jr’s comeback fight against Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez has been rescheduled for September 19.
Former pound-for-pound king Mayweather was set to fight three-weight world champion Marquez on July 18 until a rib injury forced him to postpone the contest.
There had been some suggestions he could instead fight current number one Manny Pacquiao when his injury healed, but a new date with Marquez has been set for the welterweight clash at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas after Mayweather’s doctor cleared him to fight in September.
“I am relieved to be cleared to fight as I was already looking forward to getting back into the ring,” said Mayweather, who has not fought since knocking Ricky Hatton out in 2007.
“Trust me, September 19 is a great weekend for boxing, and all of my fans, of which there are many Mexicans too, can certainly hold on to their hats and sombreros when I get back into the ring and show them what they have been missing these past 18 months.
“I will destroy Marquez and reclaim my rightful place as boxing’s pound-for-pound king all in one night.Don’t miss it.”
The pair will clash on the weekend of Mexico’s Independence Day and Marquez is delighted the fight is still on.
“I am happy that Mayweather has been cleared to fight and we can get down to business on September 19,” he said Marquez.
“This weekend is not just an important weekend for boxing, but even more so for all of the Mexican and Mexican-American people I will be fighting for who will have a great reason to celebrate my win over Mayweather, which will be for all of the people and for the entire country of Mexico that night.”