Harlequins a step away from return to the big time

Hockey: Cork Harlequins are a step away from being back in the big time after ousting Pegasus 2-1 in the Irish Senior Cup quarter-finals on Saturday.

Harlequins a step away from return to the big time

Alex Speers had cancelled out Laurene Buckley’s strike for Quins to send a tight game into extra-time, but Quins held their nerve and won out thanks to a silver goal from Lesley-Ann Daunt.

They’ll be joined in today’s semi-final draw by Railway Union, Ulster Elks and Hermes, who all progressed as anticipated but not without a few scares en route.

Former Quins girl Julia O’Halloran scored to help her Railway Union side to a 4-1 success over Glenanne, while, Aine Connery, on her return from Irish international duty in Spain, bagged a winner with the last play of the game in Hermes’ 2-1 defeat of Belfast Harlequins.

Ulster Elks beat Lisnagarvey 4-2 despite being without Irish captain Megan Frazer, who picked up a hamstring injury during last week’s Spanish trip.

Cork Church of Ireland kept their defence of the Irish Hockey Trophy on track as a hat-trick from Munster U18 starlet Louise Egan saw them account for Monkstown 3-0.

Ashton and Belvedere’s interest both ended with narrow losses on the road, going down 1-0 to Armagh and Our Lady’s respectively.

Munster’s other hope for glory, Bandon, will host Armagh in round three.

Domestically, UCC halted Bandon’s recent resurgence as goals from Steffi Bowe and Amy-Kate Trevor gave the students a 2-0 win.

In the women’s Division 1 Challenge, Tipperary and Waterford shared a 2-2 draw while Munster U16 captain Laura Foley netted twice in pace-setters Limerick’s 3-0 win over Clonmel, who play again on tomorrow night against Fermoy.

Clonakilty's Munster Junior duo Freda Buttimer and Trish Moloney gave them a surprise 2-0 win over Cashel/New Inn.

Bandon, Munster’s last side standing in the men’s Irish Trophy, knocked North Down in the quarter-finals for the second year in succession, winning 3-2 away to the Ulster side.

The men’s Division 1 title is Cork C of I’s to lose after they came from two goals down to beat closest rivals Cork Harlequins 4-2 to open up a five-point gap at the table summit.

John Hobbs and Shane Ross gave Quins a surprise 2-0 half-time lead, but John Jermyn’s ‘perfect’ hat-trick - a drag-flick, a penalty stroke and one from play - plus a Richard Sweetnam effort helped the champions turn things around.

C of I’s second team continue to set the pace in Division 1B after they beat a resolute Limerick side in the second half via goals from David Herbert and Jack O’Mahony.

Ashton picked up their first points of the season in a 1-1 draw away to Catholic Institute, although it might have been more had their short corner unit fired, letting five set-pieces slip while conceding none.

Steve Cody’s volleyed effort had Ashton in front at the break but Ivan Moore capitalised on a turnover to roof a shot past Kieran Healy, who was excellent between the sticks for Ashton.

More in this section

ieStyle Live 2021 Logo
ieStyle Live 2021 Logo

IE Logo
Outdoor Trails

Discover the great outdoors on Ireland's best walking trails

IE Logo
Outdoor Trails

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Execution Time: 0.236 s