Caruth comes good for Monkstown

Peter Caruth proved his worth to Monkstown as his goals fired them to another Irish Hockey League success at Havelock Park yesterday.

The former Annadale man joined the Glenageary outfit on his return from a couple of years playing semi-professionally on the continent, but spent the majority of the year sidelined with a foot injury.

Irish international Caruth teed up Kyle Good for a sublime silver-goal winner in the 2-1 semi-final win over Three Rock Rovers on Saturday, setting up a repeat of last year’s final against hosts Banbridge, who edged Lisnagarvey 3-1.

The decider was just Caruth’s sixth game this season, but he stole the show, firing the opener 24 seconds into the second half as Good’s pass clumsily evaded two Bann sticks.

Bann equalised with a fine goal, Eugene Magee and Stephen Dowds teeing up Johnny McKee to push past David Fitzgerald. But a mistrap by Scott Forbes onto his own foot gave Monkstown a big short corner chance, Caruth slapping past the goalkeeper of the tournament Gareth Lennox for 2-1.

The hosts could have tied it up in the game’s final play, also a penalty corner, but Good charged down Dowds’ drag-flick.

The back-to-back wins mean Monkstown will have their 2014/15 European fate in their own hands as they head to Cagliari in Italy for the EuroHockey Club Champions Trophy. Should they win that competition, they will likely take part in the elite EuroHockey League next season.

UCD completed a remarkable treble with a penalty shuttles win over Railway Union in the women’s IHL decider, prevailing against the defending champions to add to their Irish Senior Cup and Leinster league titles.

Goalkeeper Tiffaney Ellis, produced a masterclass in the one-on-one shoot-out. She played a part in repelling four of Railway’s five penalties, allowing Nikki Evans and Anna O’Flanagan to net the winning efforts, making it 2-1.

The game had finished 1-1 in normal time, Katie Mullan with the opener for UCD before Kate Dillon levelled.

Railway’s semi-final win over Pegasus on Saturday also came on penalties; UCD saw off Loreto 3-1.

A late flourish from Cork Harlequins couldn’t prevent C of I reaching the Munster Senior Cup final against UCC. A Stephen Sweetnam brace and goals from John Jermyn and Nigel Buttimer had C of I in control at Farmer’s Cross, a Dan Hobbs drag-flick Quins’ sole reply until two John Hobbs penalty strokes closed the gap.

Catholic Institute won a rollicking derby 6-3 against Limerick to claim the Munster Junior Cup. Trailing 3-2 after quarter of an hour, they recovered to lead 4-3 at the break thanks to Brian Downes and John Wallace before shutting up shop as two second-half Eric Callender strikes saw them home.

More in this section

ieStyle Live 2021 Logo
ieStyle Live 2021 Logo

IE Logo
Outdoor Trails

Discover the great outdoors on Ireland's best walking trails

IE Logo
Outdoor Trails

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Execution Time: 0.206 s