Not against each other but against separate opponents.
Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum announced that Pacquaio has already indicated his desire to return to the ring in April following the sixth- round knockout to Marquez last year in Las Vegas.
Arum said Fernando Beltran of Zanfer Promotions is due to meet with Marquez about the possibility of him and Pacquiao appearing in a double-header against separate foes.
Arum said the proposed double main event should serve as a teaser to a planned September showdown between Pacquiao and Marquez, saying it will be held during the height of the celebration of Mexican independence.
Arum said that while the Nevada Athletic Commission prevents Pacquiao from fighting within a 120-day period, the ban would have been lifted by the third week of April. The commission also has ordered the 34-year-old Filipino icon to refrain from engaging in any contact in the first 90 days of the mandatory suspension.
“It didn’t say that he can’t train,” reasoned out Arum, noting that Pacquiao can commence sparring a month before the fight.
Still, Arum maintained that negotiations haven’t started yet. Pacquiao said he has moved on from the Marquez defeat and is aching to return to the ring.
-for Cork’s Neptune Stadium on Saturday, March 2.
The unbeaten Cork middleweight Gary ‘Spike’ O’Sullivan, now ranked fourth in the world by the WBO, will headline while Clondalkin’s Stephen Ormond will fight for the WBU world lightweight title.
- It has also been confirmed that Cork based heavyweight Mike ‘The Rebel ‘Perez will fight on the undercard of the David Price v Tony Thompson fight card against an opponent still to be determined on February 23 at the Echo Arena in Liverpool.