Although over 200 years old, ‘The Old House’ on Bandon’s Kilbrogan Hill is getting better with age.
That’s thanks to some very considerate owners who, over the last 10 years, have stripped back layers of ill-fitting additions to reveal some beautiful Georgian features.
When that was done, they then set about making the property suitable for a modern family by adding rooms, redecorating and setting up for business by renting out the adjoining coach house as well as setting up a successful shop which traded for over eight years up to recently.
From the street the property appears to have a modest enough footprint, but the grounds extend to 0.4 of an acre altogether, which according to auctioneer Roy Lee is a big surprise for anyone who comes to see it.
The original house here was built in the late 1790’s as part of the estate of the Duke of Devonshire, making it older than many of its neighbours. This is when it was known as ‘The Old House’.
In the late 1890s part of the estate was sold to Sir John Arnott who had it until 1921.
In the 1940s and 1950s, the corner of the property at the junction of Kilbrogan Hill and Convent Hill was filled in to form part of the house and a commercial premises, which was later developed and extended in the 1960’s.
Fast forward to 2004 and a new phase in the life of Kilbrogan Hill began with its new owners who carried out a complete renovation starting with the attic where the old servants’ quarters were.
As part of the process they uncovered fine Georgian panelling in a couple of rooms and have remodelled the house, in keeping with its period history.
Works included adding a garden room, new kitchen and utility, creating bathrooms, restoring the entrance hall, the stairs and creating a new master en suite bedroom with a balcony overlooking the gardens.
Throughout the house are period features, including cast iron radiators, window shutters and original fireplaces.
Accommodation at the main house includes the new fully fitted kitchen with a four-oven Aga, granite work surfaces, and exposed beams.
This leads to the garden room with arched windows and double doors to the patio: french limestone flagstones were imported for these two rooms.
There is also the drawing room, dining room, family room, guest toilet and utility.
The house has six bedrooms, the master with a dressing room and en suite bathroom.
One other bedroom also has an en suite bathroom, and the last room in the house is the family bathroom with a free standing bath.
While the attic area has been pared back it hasn’t relly been developed, other than installing services for a bathroom. It has more than enough space for a couple of bedrooms if required.
There is a converted coach house with its own separate street access, with a lounge, kitchen and one en suite bedroom.
The coach house is let on a weekly basis to tourists through an international letting agency and has provided steady income for the owners from March to October.
It could also be used to house family members or be used as a home office/ studio, according to auctioneer Roy Lee.
The retail unit traded well until recently as the owners prepare to relocate. This could be a business opportunity for a new owner or a source of rental income.
The walled garden is extensive and not overlooked. It has lawns, an orchard and a productive kitchen garden.
There is also a large shed with power supply and a terrace.
Kilbrogan Hill is on the edge of Bandon with the town centre within walking distance. Bids in excess of €550,000 are sought.
: There’s a lot more to this restored period property than meets the eye.