I will 'never be deterred,' says Taoiseach, as gardaí investigate latest online threats
Taoiseach Simon Harris said that he does not believe it is acceptable that politicians have become 'a regular target'.
Taoiseach Simon Harris has said that he will “never be deterred”, despite threats against him and his family on social media over the weekend.
Gardaí confirmed earlier on Tuesday that an investigation has been launched into threats against Mr Harris that were posted on Instagram in recent days.
The threat has since been made private and cannot be seen by the public. A garda spokesperson confirmed that they are currently investigating the matter.
In a statement, Mr Harris said that he does not believe it is acceptable that politicians have become “a regular target”, while adding that it is on the brink of being “viewed as acceptable or a normal part of the job”.
“I get up every day and go to work and work as hard as I can. So do most politicians I know from all parties, and none. Constant efforts to target us, demean us or dehumanise us should never be accepted, never be normalised, and always called out,” Mr Harris said.
“The laws of the land apply to people online just as much as offline. There can be no hiding place for anyone seeking to threaten, attack or harm people or to incite others to do so.”
Mr Harris also thanked the public for their kindness and decency, adding: “It means the world to me and my family”.
A spokesperson for Instagram owner Meta confirmed that the content had been removed for "violating our policies", adding that the company is continuing to investigate the matter.
The Taoiseach was previously targeted with a bomb threat at his home in Wicklow, while his wife and two young children were at the property. No devices were found and the incident was declared a sinister hoax.
His home has also been targeted by anti-immigrant protestors, with masked men gathering outside his home on two separate occasions.
The latest threat comes just weeks after a death threat was made against Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald and Garda Commissioner Drew Harris.




