HSE chief apologises ‘unequivocally’ for North Kerry Camhs failures
Bernard Gloster, chief executive officer, of the HSE. File picture: PA
HSE CEO Bernard Gloster has apologised “unequivocally” to families and children impacted by serious failures in Camhs services in North Kerry.
A review published on Wednesday found that the level of care provided to children in North Kerry’s Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services was “inconsistent with standard practice”.
Mr Gloster said mental health services provided to children and teenagers in North Kerry were “far below acceptable standards”.
“I am truly sorry for the harm caused and we will continue to work to improve, reform and invest in mental health services for young people in Kerry, and indeed throughout the country,” Mr Gloster said.
“For families and children attending services today, I want to offer reassurance that our services will respond to you and it is a safe service unlike that which led to this review.”
The report found that more than 55% of cases reviewed involved risks. It found that two children were at major risk, 195 children were at moderate risk and 12 cases involved minor risk.
This means more than half of the 374 children whose cases were active in November 2022 were affected in some way.
The HSE chief executive said he is conscious that Camhs service users in Kerry and beyond have had confidence in the system “eroded”.
“While all of our improvements are good and welcome, there is no doubt but that our services in Kerry were so far below the acceptable standards as to cause risk of harm.
“That is unacceptable, it is not good enough and for that I am sincerely sorry. I have also clarified that the HSE has made a referral to the Medical Council in this case, and it is important that their assessment is allowed to progress.”
Mr Gloster said a “significant programme” of service improvements would follow publication of the review, adding that the HSE will invest to ensure the recommendations are implemented.






